Headlamp Dust Cover

I recently ordered some rubber gaskets and seals and picked up 2 Headlamp dust covers (part #3446) for my Mk 1. These are also used on the Mk 2, 7, 9, XK 120, 140, 150. Inside diameter is 6 1/4", there is a 1/2" x 1/2" square notch in the rubber, one side has the word “back” embossed in 3 places. Is this supposed to be pulled over the headlamp? Appears to be pretty fragile. Thanks

Bruce,

There are two rubber gaskets, one fits between the bodyshell and the bowl that the headlamp assembly fits into - this seal has two 1" long closed hose bits to protect the adjuster screws, The other, flimsier one goes around the inner chrome trim ring. The cutouts are so that you can access the adjuster screws without removing this dust seal.

Thanks for your help.

I was able to fit the dust excluder, carefully stretching it, I imagine the original ones on most cars were trashed with the first bulb change.

I also purchased the gasket between the body and bowl but, might have the wrong part number (SNG 8402) unless all 7" lamp bowls have a gasket that is 8 7/8" in diameter. In fact, I am almost positive it is wrong as the rubber sticks out 1/4" around the chrome rim.

Hmn…

Can’t say. I’ve got the gaskets, but my bowls went AWOL during powder coating (along with the IRS safety straps, the ARB keepers, and brackets, and the lower mounts for the front shocks). I’ll have a look tomorrow what size my gaskets are.

I think I have it figured out but, it would be helpful to know the diameter of your gaskets. I ordered part #8402 because it was listed for the Mk 1 in the British Auto/USA catalog. Another gasket - #9403, was designated for the Mk 2 and 340 only but, #9403 diameter is 8 3/8" (per vendor) so, it should work on the Mk 1. Thanks

Bruce,

I just measured the openings in the nose of my S-Type. The mounting flange OD is 8-3/8", ID is 6-1/2", No idea what your 8-7/8 would be for, if they are indeed correct for some lamp or other.