Headlamps - again...(series I only, please)

I measured when I found those LED headlights I posted about in another thread. IIRC, the headlight bucket rim ( the surface the headlight rim contacts) to the back of the bowl measurement was about 4-1/2 inches.

Regarding those other LED headlights, I asked the seller for dimensions, they swore they would send them and never did, despite my asking more than once and they saying they would more than once. So I scratched them off the list.

Yes, those 4.5" bowls would allow you to fit the Cibie lenses as they are 3.75" deep from rim to end of contacts. I think Erica may have a pair going spare :slight_smile:

I just measured the new z-beam with an Osram H4 lamp. It’s exactly 3.5" from back of rim to tip of contact. What would be the max depth for a S1 bucket?

Maximum usable depth of the S1 bucket is 3". It has the sloped back plus there is the bracket and spring to hold the seating rim in place. You also need to allow for the plug and wires. I measured the Cibie at 3.75" but it may have been a different one to yours. Compare it to the photo in an earlier post and you will get a sense of scale.

S1 headlamps are a nightmare and the vendors do not help in their confusing listings. It is even more difficult in the US if you want a non-sealed beam unit. Only make with a H4 bulb I can confirm fits is the Wipac but you may need to buy that from Europe or the UK (although we are RHD of course),

Well crap! I was really looking forward to installing these. The photos of the light pattern comparison looked like it would be a big improvement. Are S2 buckets a bolt in swap?

Perhaps these are the duck’s nuts in repros. Made in England using original tooling. A little pricey. Paul

https://www.holden.co.uk/search.asp

Just put PL700 - or any other variation- in the search line.

Unfortunately not. Holden re-sell parts made by others and although they do look for the best reproductions they are dictated by the market. If they had used the original tooling then ‘700 Headlamp’ would not be there as it was not put there by Lucas.

The main problem however is the PL700 was designed to focus the Lucas 410 bulb and is entirely unsuited to being fitted with a H4 bulb as the specification does not match the vintage design with its tripod mounted front focus reflector (behind the Lucas badge). Great for looks but of no use if you want to drive quickly in the dark. For that you need a correctly designed reflector and lens matched to the characteristics of the H4 bulb and as far as I know the only one available for the S1 is the Wipac unit although I would be pleased to hear of others that are proven to work.

However if you want really good headlights then the relay conversion is the way to go.

Erica. My ots had s2 buckets installed at some time. I never noticed untill I started dismantelling it but there were pretty definite rub marks on both sides from the front tires. You might get away with it but it would definitely require minimum diameter front tires. I can’t be sure if they would bolt right in because there were self tapping screws all over the place in the installation. PO did not have a gentle touch!

Just to make positive.

Does the “Wipac Quad Optic unit” fit in the S1 bucket?

BrianM

There are so many variations it is difficult to know. Only sure way is to measure the depth of the headlamp but I think the Quadoptic is too deep as it is normally recommended for Triumph Spitfire/TR5/Mini which have deep bowls. The E-Type is, as far as I know, the only car that uses the slanted bowls. I will have a look around and see if I can come up with anything.

You can see the choices here: https://www.holden.co.uk/displayProducts.asp?sg=1&pgCode=010&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Lighting&agCode=0002&agName=Light+Units+-+7"

But they do not give measurements.

These may work but you would need to contact the seller for measurements:

SNGB state that these will fit the S1, are LHD and take H4 bulbs:

https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/English/parts/4f53b3e2-7525-413a-af4a-177e2309f716

Well that doesn’t sound promising at all. Thanks for the warning. I guess I’ll be parting with my Z-beam collection if any wants em. I have two NIB reissues from Cibie/Valeo, and one NIB vintage Z-Beam that I’ve been looking for a partner for.

Link does not seem to jump to the part. do you have a part
number?

Did you call them or is this just the part that comes up on a

search?

If only they fit the Rover!

Brian

Did not call them. Part number is JLM9609K# but confirm when you order. Bear in mind I am in the UK and all searches seem to default to that location so trying to find LHD for US cars is difficult.

Wiggles - Cibie will very probably fit the Rover or any car with normal bowls e.g. S2/3 cars.

I can confirm that these do fit on S1 without any mods, they also are available under ref MGE203 with DMG.
No interest or affiliation…
Used the car so far once only at night and light pattern was quite ok.

Good to hear, as I ordered them :slight_smile:

Called JDB and the guy confirmed they would fit, although not very convincingly, I think he just read it off the web description.

The invoice calls out JLM9609#. The K may be sidelight???

I will update when they arrive.

Thanks

BrianM

The ‘K’ stands for kit which includes two reflectors and two H4 bulbs. without the ‘K’ you will get just one light unit (don’t think it includes the H4 bulb) times how many you ordered - two I assume.

I will be interested to hear if you can find any manufacturer logos or markings on them.

David

ah,

Yes I ordered two lens housings and 2 bulbs. I hope. Seem very cheep to me compared to other offerings. $60.42 both pairs.

Mine came packed in Lucas boxes labelled “LUB314 7” Light Unit H4 LHD", the lens is duly stamped “Lucas H4”.