Headlight functionality

1974 Series 2 LWB 4.2 auto

I feel a bit stupid posing these 2 questions but I haven’t been able to find the answers via searching, so I guess I must just take a deep breath and ask – and hope I’m forgiven for my lack of knowledge! …

Anyhow, one of the inner headlights isn’t coming on when I go to HI BEAM – the globe/bulb is working so it’s a connection problem somewhere – but that’s not what I need help with (Not YET anyway!!)

I realise that I don’t know what is expected to happen in the 2 positions of DIP and HI BEAM!

My assumption is the following:-

In DIP the 2 outer headlights should be on with the DIP bulbs illuminated – the 2 inner headlights should NOT be ON.

Change to HI BEAM - the 2 outer headlights should be on with the HI BEAM bulbs illuminated – the 2 inner headlights should come ON.

I’ve tried to illustrate this in the attached graphic.

Please advise if this is what’s meant to happen? …

Also – my vehicle hasn’t seemingly got any fog lights – the lights switch in the cabin has 4 positions namely OFF – SIDE – HEAD – FOG – but the round knob only travels between the first 3 positions ie., OFF – SIDE – HEAD – so it won’t turn to FOG – I guess that’s right but can anyone confirm that for me?

Many thanks …

That’s what is supposed to happen and if you don’t have fog lights the position will be locked.

Start with the ground and the fuses.

David

Thanks - appreciated

The grounds are just bullet connectors situated on the outer face of the engine bay, behind the grill.

Or just roll the fuses in their cradles. I call it the finger roll… It works!!

Almost bound to be a bad earth on the inner headlight.

You are dead right, Dave - that one inner light does not come ‘on’ in ‘high’ is indeed wrong…

From the relay there is one wire from ‘lo’ and one ‘hi’ to the fuse box - there are 4 fuses connected in pairs on the relay side. On the lamp side the 4 fuses’ connections are; Lo ‘left’,Lo ‘right’, Hi ‘left’ and Hi ‘right’ - ie ‘right’ and '‘left’ separated. Which means that if an inner ‘hi’ is off, but outer ‘high’ is on; the ‘hi’ fuse is OK - the fault is wiring connections. Either at the fuse holder, the inner lamp or inner ground - so start searching, as David suggests…:slight_smile:

The light switch in the US market is mechanically blocked, inside the switch, from turning to ‘fog’ - this can be easily removed, allowing full 4-position travel. As an aside; Jaguar practice was to wire all markets the same - leaving unused wires in place, but unconnected…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Frank, this possibly answers a question that I have been pondering for a while as I have a cable with a bullet connector one each side of my car headlights not connected to anything. I assumed that they may have been for fog lights that were not fitted to the car.

Bob

If they are red/yellow then that is the fog light wiring I believe.

Absolutely correct. One wiring loom for all cars saves money. There are a few wires even some for options I don’t even know what they’re for…

Hi Robin, you, just checked and they’re red and yellow wires,

Bob

Yes, they are for the Fog lights.

Thanks everyone for the advice and comments - as suspected, a simple grounding issue and lights now all working as they should.

Interesting to learn that it was a common wiring loom and thus I’m less anxious about unattached bullet connectors all over the place under the bonnet! …

Economies of scale, cheaper to make the loom to fit the highest spec then you only have to hold one spec so lower inventory.

I had to replace my starter motor on my 2.9 XJ40, the agents wanted to know all the details of the car, I went onto the Bosch website and checked the fitment, all the AJ6 engines used the same SM.

This is only true for a relatively low-production automobile. For companies making s**tboxes by the millions, they’ll actually make all sort of little variations in order to save 39 cents per car on half the cars they make.

is there enough space in the original 5" bucket to accommodate the replacing of the sealed beam with a bulb type headlight ?

Yes easily. Those buckets are standard parts used on most British cars. Should be no real difference in size between say H4 and a sealed beam connection.