Headliner - Anyone try some kind of spray on insulation?

This is a 1956 XK140 coupe. Car is back from paint, so I’m at a point where I have to install the glass and interior.
According to advice from these forums, I’ll have to install the headliner first.
Well, after dismantling a later model Lincoln Town Car, I was reminded that later model cars use a formed-foam one-piece, insulative headliner – that not only helps sound proof, but also insulates, and NEVER sags.

In addition, having installed a headliner or two in the past, there’s the difficulty in eliminating wrinkles when installing the cloth, even when done by “professionals”.

Sooooooo, I’m wondering if there is a method to spray on a headliner using something like the expandable foam insulation as used around doors and windows. Granted, the expansion of the foam would be extremely lumpy, especially as it would be subject to gravity before it set.

BUT, maybe there is someone out there who can suggest a method (or an alternative to the cloth headliner) that would meet the increased insulation and soundproofing that foam insulation would provide, while still being presentable.

Anyone try something other than the usual cloth and wires?
Thanks.

how thick would the headliner end up being, on my car I glued closed cell foam in layers to the roof, the foam can then be sanded with a orbital sander with coarse paper like 80 or 60 grit . the foam sands nicely into shape and the edges feathered , then glued the foam back wool headliner onto the closed cell foam, looks factory quality. my e type has a steel sliding sunroof so the headliner had to be custom fabricated since this was never a stock setup. but this method worked perfectly , smooth and tight

1 Like

Yah! Thanks.
Questions:

1. Was the closed cell foam rigid or flexible? How did it conform to the curvatures of the roof?
  2. Gluing the foam-backed wool headliner… any particular kind of glue you used? I think I tried gluing a headliner before, and the glue soaked through in spots, such that there were indentations where the soaked-thru glue pulled up the headliner and even penetrated the fabric. Any tricks to this?

Thanks again.

the foam is called plastazote it comes in thicknesses from 1/8 to 1 inch. I used black and layered it, its super flexible. used it throughout the interior instead of the open cell. you can orbital sand it to shape, used weldwood landau top adhesive, and brushed it on, its a good idea to sand the foam all little for good adhesion, installing the foam backed wool, I first brushed the adhesive on the plastazote then dry brushed the adhesive on the headliner foam, just dragged the brush over the foam so only leaving a thin amount of adhesive,

3 Likes

Oh yeah, thx for the pic.
Great info.
Will be lookingup plastazote and give it a try. Sounds like you might have also used it inside your doors, against the metal?

Goodness, please do not use spray insulation:) Not good. It can dry out and crumbly. Get high density Landau foam and it comes in more than one thickness. It is smooth, waterproof and is also used for exterior car vinyl roof sections like you see in cars from the 1970/80s. It can be sprayed with glue and material placed on it (also sprayed lightly) But at least 2 people to help install the material over lay. One thing to remember is that the ‘pros’ use steam to take out wrinkles, which then you should have a NON wrinkled surface. I learned this from a pro installer who was a wonderful pattern maker and sewer also from Italy. Her work was amazing!! There are tricks to all processes. I did my Camaro dash with it, and no longer needed a dash pad replacement and it look better than the original. With vinyl overlay, it was tight and professional in appearance and lasted over 15 years. I am just now redoing the dash. Anyway, if you want, you can also now do fiberglass or even other material inserts on roofs, but that is a ton of work and you really need to know your materials to pull that off well! Using the RIGHT GLUE also matters, and spray methods. You do not need a lot to do a great job. Hope this helps! Landau foam is still on the market and can be used for a ton of projects! If you want to water proof your inner panels, which have T roofs like mine, you can brush on the Raptor coating that prevents water from getting to the metal. This is a great way to save those older cars etc. Or a new car in damp climates! Works great on truck boxes, and on other parts of your projects. THEN do the liners etc. If you want more soundproofing, also line the inner panels with sound proofing insulated pads that have that aluminium backing Yes, that is more expensive, but if quiet is what you want, then you have to do that extra mile
. On floors, doors etc. Use a thicker Landau for the roof, that should be more than enough for sound. Hope this helps! Cheers!