Headliner restore

Hi,

I was about to say ”Woolies” but you beat me to it. :slight_smile:

Great place and good prices for what they have. I got the furflex for a couple of my cars from there. Not the right color on the MKV DHC but better than nothing!

Cheers!

Yap, finding the right colour is the biggest problem.

Sunroof panel had some light rust in a couple of places so it got a new coat of paint.

The fabric is sawn to two plastic strips that clip to the panel.
When I had redone it before, I just glued the fabric to the panel and put the plastic strips on top to secure it.
But the front one is in pieces now and as it’s visible when the sunroof opens, so it needs replacement.

I took an aluminium L shape bar and removed some material from the one side.

Polished and ready.

Mounting hardware was also a bit crusty, a coat of paint and new stainless screws.

The fabric side of the board got a light coat of paint as well, just in case the patches would show trough the fabric.

2 Likes

Look fabulous! nicely done :slightly_smiling_face:

Amazing work job sir it looks great!

Update.

Ordered a velvet headliner fabric from a French company here but was looking hideous, full of patches, and had to be returned. A lesson learned.

So I got the cream headliner from Woolies and two cans of 3M High Strength 90 spray adhesive.
The headliner is stretchy enough and has a reinforcement layer on the back.
The 3M spray cans also have adjustable nozzles that regulate the width and the amount of the spray pattern, a very useful feature.

I’m quite happy with the result.

Next is to cut the sunroof opening and to the sunroof panel.

4 Likes

Very very nice work! I gave up on using spray adhesive on my interior parts, even the expensive stuff just didn’t hold well. Pots of contact adhesive are harder work, but once stuck it stays!

Gee, I had exactly the opposite experience. The brush-on stuff failed in a sunny Walmart parking lot, but the 3M Headliner Adhesive worked as long as I owned the car.

4 cars vs 1, Kirby, I claim superior statistical relevance here :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I also had normal rubber cement fail cause of heat in some applications. Curiously, in some others it was fine. Apparently the 3M 90 is able to withstand heat. Time will tell…

I suspect a lot of the failure is due to the foam backing of the headliner crumbling to dust, and maybe some of that dust residue still on the biscuit. If both surfaces are sufficiently well prepped, I imagine almost any glue will keep the nominal weight of the headlining in place.

Sunroof panel got some extra insulation on the interior side.

Covered with headliner fabric.
The fabric, originally, is “floating” on the panel, i.e. it’s pressed against the panel only at the edges and there is a gap of 5mm to 7mm between them. I didn’t like that very much. The insulation on the recesses plus a second layer of fabric (4mm) glued on top took most of the “slack” away.

1 Like

Rear Headliner Trim

2 Likes

Headliner installed !

1 Like

Looks fantastic Aristides, I bet that you can’t wait to get that car back on the road!

Thanks Robert,
Yes I do, but it will take a while.

On the meantime some more progress, fitted the sunroof opening trim and sun visors.

2 Likes

This is the kind of project that, if it comes out perfect, yields a feeling of pride and accomplishment that lasts as long as you own the car. If it doesn’t come out perfect, the tiny little imperfections that nobody else notices will bug you forever.

Absolutely true…!
And a very stressful job as there is no room for error.
But I got it right :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Getting side tracked, a couple of pictures show the felt door seal removed … that’s a little further down on my to-do list. Thanks