Headliner XJ6 Series 1

I have a 1973 XJ6 Series 1 Signal red with black interior. I was careful to compare old headliner material with new samples. Original had a grey mauve look to it. New material came , did not look at it for about a year because car was being repaired. It was installed by upholstery shop without me seeing it and it is rose beige which looks more tan than mauve. What color should have been ordered ? Although it is finished now. Thanks

Steven,

congratulatios to this car of yours! Signal red over black was not a regular color combination…

Generally speaking, on SI and SII cars the headliner came either ADH (Fawn) with interiors in Cinnamon or Biscuit, or MDA (Silver) with interiors in Russet, Moss Green, Olive Green, Dark Blue and Black. The original fawn, however, was pretty much beige.

My own headliner was replaced by the PO, so I couldn’t tell the original tone of “Silver”. The materials sold today, e.g. http://equinoxproducts.co.uk/headlinerworld/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=55 are either straightforward grey or beige. So it might well be that your original with the “grey mauve look” may have been either custom fitted by the factory, like the individual color scheme, or put in later.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

My 71 XJ6 has a black interior and a gray headliner. My 73 has a mustard yellow leather interior and a yellow/gold headliner.

Regards
Lou

Thank it is pretty much original. but it did not have a headliner and although I was careful to look at samples , I never opened package and it is now more beige than grey. Thanks