Heat AC issue on 1990

Greetings I am working now on the non working heat/ac on a 1990 XJ6 Soveriegn. When I turn the selector to on nothing at all happens. I do hear a click sound in the control panel and was told that if I hear that click that means I can eliminate that as a problem. I have checked now all fuses, the relays under the hood and just now have the blower motor out and have checked the two relays in the squirrel cage. I tested them by simply pulling them and plugging them into another spot, the horn and all have worked fine. I also direct wired the motor to 12 volt and it works fine. With the ignition on, and the selector set to on, there is no power to the relays in the cage and no power coming from the wires that connect to the fan. I also checked at the fuse to ensure there is 12 volts and there is. I am about at my witts end. Does anybody have any idea why with all relays good, fan works yet no power to the relays and fan motor?

Is this a Delanair MkIII system?

Isn’t this the XJS forum?
Your climate control sounds just like the XJS.

From what I understand yes

Seems to be a bit of confusion here.

If in fact your car is a 1990 XJ6 Soveriegn then this should have been moved to the XJ40 forum.

That being said your problem is almost certainly the infamous micro switch failure on the fan speed selector knob.

IMG_0429%20copy

Very easy fix at the staggering cost of around $2 for a new switch from any electronics parts store. When that little switch fails NOTHING connected with the climate control system works.

1 Like

THANK YOU!! I will check replace that switch!!

I should have added that a quick test of this micro switch is to turn the left rotary (fan speed) switch to any position other than off. You should see an AUTO or MANUAL light. Also when you press any of the other buttons they should light up.

If nothing lights up it’s the micro switch !

Remove the ski slope console trim, then the six screws holding the radio / climate control housing and pull out the entire unit. After that you can remove the back of the climate control unit to gain access to the switch.

Hey Grooveman, I have the control panel out. Is there a way to check the switch, or by pass to see if I get power and blowers working?

Yes there is, just pull off the two leads going to the micro switch and connect them together. That should energize the system and allow you to select the different fan speeds. If it does then your micro switch is bad.

IMG_0429%20copy

With the key in the accessory position connect the green and white wires behind the arrow together.

I removed the switch, connected the wires and yes panel comes alive! I did determine that only the driver side blower motor came on. So now to chase down that. Hey what does the micro switch do? Just power the panel? Can I leave the wires together till I can find the switch? Oh here is the switch.

Ok can’t seem to put a pic on. It’s Licon 19-403

This is a Delanair MkIII, right? Each blower is controlled by a little controller board right on it. Instructions for repairs:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/acblower.htm

Thank you Kirbert1! I remember seeing that on the flap door and wondered what it did. Went to the link, very informative, I wonder if I put the two wires together if it will power up the fan. If so then I will not have to pull the darn blower out

OK, once again is your car a 1990 XJ-6 (known as an XJ40) or an XJ-S ??

So sorry thought I stated that, its a XJ6 Sovereign, I know now its in the wrong section. I have no idea how to moved it.

Since your car is a 1990 XJ6, you need to post to the XJ40 list not the XJ-S list.

Paul

You can copy the original post from here then paste it to the XJ6 forum.
Then indicate on this forum that it has moved.

Thanks paul for that informative help

Steve,
I have sent a number of emails regarding the can’t rails- doesn’t seem you are getting them. Check spam folder?
Bob King

If, as you say, only one blower came on when you got the panel working, do you have power to the other blower via the supply wire? (IIRC brown or brown w/blue trace)

If not, suspect a problem in the fuse box.