Heater air snorkel too tight to fit

trying to fit a new heater snorkel. it holds the bonnet up about 5/8 in, without the gasket. any ideas for fitment.

If you had the bonnet totally apart you may have changed the alignment when you put it back together. If the old plenum fits well then the mounting holes in the new one are probably drilled in the wrong places. Just elongate the holes to make it fit, the washers on the mounting bolts are oval so they should cover the enlarged holes.

I’m thinking that not all heater intakes are the same (i.e. S1 differs from S2). If that is true, are you sure you have the correct part?

my car is a series 2, ordered the snorkel for a series 2, its not the more square type. the top of the snorkel touches the bonnet, so it can not be raised any higher. the car has never had one so there is not anything to compare to.

Roger;
My car is a 70 2+2 and I have a couple of pictures of the fresh air intake. It does not touch the under surface of the bonnet, comes close to the wing/center section flanges though.

Hope these are helpful. As far as I know the fresh air intake is original to the car.

Regards, Joel.

If it is the right snorkel - then I’d be looking at how the heater box is installed (i.e. is it too high?).

nice work on that bonnet and the brg is great. the snorkel is the same shape as yours. the heater box is installed in the only place it could be. the bonnet fits the car perfectly. I am doing surgery on the top of the snorkel to allow it to be raised up. and now it will work. just have to find a suitable formable plastic to repair the cut out area. always thought a carbon fiber snorkel would look nice. but that might be costly. thanks for the pics