Grooveman,
post that info to neil, he has the problem

… sorry done

Ah many thanks.

Neil

Blue Moon Entertainers
Neil Mitchener - Chairman 07754761255

bluemoonentertainers.co.uk

So in these excellent diagrams is the infamous Darlingtion unit shown?

john,
i do have more technical info on the units but i don’t generally add to the info as it’s more used by reconditioners, the Mk11 system shows more which haven’t posted

Hi Tom. Yes please, that would be helpful thanks.
Rgds Neil

neil,
do you know if you have the mark 11 or 111 delanair or other system

Hi Tom.
Ah sorry, no idea. Will it be marked anywhere?
All i do know is that the blower unit has “air con” label on it.
Rgds

Neil

neil,
i still have you email so i’ll send it tomorrow, i’ll send the mark 11 system, is there any particular part you wanting to test now other than whats in the schematics, email the conversation

Hi Tom, that ll be greatvthanks.
Well i want my electrician to check to see which component is causing the non medium and slow speeds so if you could send list of checks to perform and how, that will be a great help, plus the diagram showing where these components are on the blowers and elswhere, inc the blower ctrl switch please.

So as there are two blowers, are they controlled together, or each blower independantly. Example…if say drivers slow speeds dont work, does that mean the passenger blower will be affected too?

Also, can these checks be carried out without removing thecblowers?

Many thanks

Neil

Neil …

Yes there are two separate fan assemblies. Both located under the dashboard with one behind the driver’s kick panel and the other behind the passenger kick panel. Both difficult to get to.

Although the two fan assemblies are totally independent of each other they both receive identical operational signals from the climate control panel. Each assembly is powered and controlled through its own fuse and electronics.

Troubleshooting …

The way the system is designed both fans have to be operative on all three speeds to achieve the desired airflow out of the vents. So let’s say your problem is that your getting almost no airflow except
on high speed.

Pull one of the fan fuses (let’s pick the left fan one located in the left footwell first, doesn’t matter which side you pick) and run the controls through all three speeds. If you HEAR the different fan sounds on all three speeds this means the RIGHT fan is OK. Replace the fuse.

Now pull the right fan fuse (located in the right footwell) and do the same thing. If you only hear the fan operating on high speed setting it almost always means the LEFT fan’s Darlington transistor has failed.

When a fan assembly’s Darlington transistor fails the motor will only operate at high speed.

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 9.53.48 AM copy

Ah thank you for that info. Appreciated!
As they are both running ok on full speed and full speed to screen((defrost pos), do think that the rotary sw for different speeds is working fine, or could that still be a fault re med and low speeds not working?
If so, how would i test that electically?
Rgds

Neil

Neil …

Check my previous post which I edited it to include troubleshooting. I don’t believe the problem is with your climate control panel (rotary switch).

By the way there are only three speeds on the fan motors. High speed and the demister (defrost) position speed are the same, the only difference is where the air is directed.

1 Like

Probably one blower is either not working or has a blown transistor so it appears that the entire system is blowing on full. Follow groove’s advice and do the fuse removal test. Even though you replaced a darlington it is possible it shorted or it was installed it incorrectly as that is the component that controls the speeds. Possible that the replacement side still works but as the failed unit immediately goes to high, it would overwhelm the working side giving the impression that both are hooped.
When I did mine the first time (they do not last forever especially if you get water ingress or A/C tubes get blocked) I also replaced the diodes, resistors and capacitors and even the relays as listed on the old site. Possibly overkill, but I wanted to be sure. Next time they failed (about 10 years later) I just did the darlington.

old site XJ40 book

https://www.jag-lovers.org/ebooks/bookindex.php?Vbook=xj40

Hello again folks.
Well having replaced darlington items on both side blowers, my slow blower positions still didnt work. So as a resort, I decided to replace the heater ECU unit (second hand one), and hey presto, I got all my fan speeds. That was back in July 23, but couple of weeks ago, they stopped working again, so I replaced the ECU with another S/H one thinking it would sort it, but nope, still no slow speed blowers this time. Any ideas please?

Also, which wires do I connect to to test my heated wing mirrors, as drivers one has failed. Supply is there. Is it an easy job to replace either the glass or complete mirror head?

Lastly, my red fuse keeps blowing which controls the door puddle lights & radio, I suspect the radio as often when I switch it on, the lights come on but no sound for about 90seconds, then when sound does appear its loud & muffled for 30secs, then all is ok.

Thanks.

Neil M