Heater Box painting

And a label maker label on it in case its true function is forgotten.

1 Like

Pffft. Forty-five bucks for that? Was the merchant wearing a mask and carrying a gun? :scream:

Nope just a “Jaguar” logo. All that is required.

A lot like the $10 dollar shirt featuring a $50 dollar lizard.

I’ve never been big on merchandise sporting the manufacturer’s logo.

1 Like

Merde: wish they’d had those when I was wrenching on Jags perfesshunally…!!!

Didn’t you own any red shop rags?

Speaking of shop rags. When I worked at a gas station in high school the uniform service took our old, grease laden shop rags and left a couple of bundles of freshly laundered shop rags. What in the heck did they use to get all that grease, grime and oil out of them? What ever it was nothing you can buy in the laundry section of your local market comes close.

What no cup holder???

I was lazy and bought one of these from XK’s. I suppose it’s a little pricey but it does stay in place, keeps the tools from dropping down into some unknown hinterland of the engine bay and it protects the heater box.
https://xks.com/i-14672239-jaguar-e-type-heater-box-tool-tray-17-4401.html?ref=search:https%3A%2F%2Fxks.com%2Fsearch.html%3Fq%3Dtool%2Btray%26go%3DSearch

Got everything out of the car and apart ready for powder coating

1 Like

It’s going to look great when you get it back.

What are you going to do with the screen? Powder coat in Silver?

I suggest putting a magnet on the shaped snoot on the bottom of the can where fresh air comes in. I think they are generally steel but I seem to recall someone once saying theirs was plastic and it melted in the oven during the powder coat process.

Your flapper and pivot shaft are different than mine. I think on the earlier cars the shaft was spot welded to the flapper. If your shaft has to reside in a narrow folded channel on the edge of the flapper, expect to have to sand it away in order to get the shaft to fit again. PC is a very thick coating. If it’s a tight fit, you might be better off spray painting the flapper. I won’t matter if it matches as it’s hidden. Same thing with the shaft itself. Maybe ask them to mask the rod. I think they can do so with duct tape.

Perhaps something like this? :smiley:

2 Likes

Nice but it needs a label. You’re going to forget what it’s for. Does it have little locating legs so it can’t get knocked off?

I thought about that but the square part of the heater box is uneven because of the mounting tab spot wended to the top of the box. I popped the magnets off of three of the give away magnetic small parts trays Harbor freight constantly gives way and glued them to the underside.

1 Like

Hi John, the screen is going to be powder coated silver.
Erica, the pivot shaft is just going to be sandblasted, so it fits back in the groove not to tightly.
All in gloss black including header tank brackets. The motor parts I disassembled and plan on spraying them black. The header tank which is brass. On some cars I’ve seem them shinny brass I might also paint black, unless I remove the existing paint and shine it up as a brass piece.
Hope I don’t screw up the motor that I took apart, no schematic on washers that go back in.

I’m virtually positive that black is correct. That only matters if you are striving for originality In my opinion you should finish it in the manner that best pleases you.

Mine seemed to be some sort of fiber reinforced plastic, so not a good candidate for powder coat.

So is mine.

Weird it looked black in the earlier photo. I would definitely drill that out and pop it back later. A 400 degree oven may or may not actually destroy it but powder coat won’t stick to it.

I’m going to add one more observation: The screen is fairly fine, I wonder if powder coating it would significantly reduce the air flow. I also went after my screen with a wire wheel, and it came out looking almost new. I can’t help but wonder if it is made of something nicer than plain steel. My box was also in worse condition then yours (the bottom was rotted out), so your screen may have seen less wear and tear then mine.