Heater hose identify

All - For my 67 Series 1 FHC, I am trying to identify the coolant hose between the intake manifold and the firewall - hose is circled in pic below. (Can’t stop it leaking at firewall connection so am going to replace . . .)
InkedEditHosePic_LI

I believe it may be #7 in the diagram below as shown . . . Can anyone confirm or direct me to a correct part# please?

Thanks, David
Grand Junction MI

For the straight bits I just used bulk hose from the FLAPS (stripe added):

½" I.D. is what I recall. A bit of Hylomar on the connection shouldn’t hurt anything and may help if the fitting at the firewall is less than perfect.

Do examine that heater pipe connection - if it looks like this you may want to think about replacement:

C.25124 according to the Parts List

-David

It can be really challenging to seal those at the bullhead due to the lack of a flange or ferrule on the pipe. You might want to try one of two things. Use a suitable sealant, I’ve had great success with that permatex shellac with the native American on the bottle. I was able to get my heater core sealed up using that. Also someone, I think Ray, pointed out that once it does drip, it’s almost impossible to get it to seal by just cranking down on the clamp. The glycol is too slippery, so I had to pull the hose off and clean the pipe and the inside of the hose of all coolant residue.

The other option is to pick up a proper fitting copper ferrule from the home store and either solder it on the pipe, or easier still, glue it on with some JB weld. It will never leak again.

Had the same problem trying to use my original Cheney clamps after replacing the hoses. I switched to Jubilee clamps and problem solved. I believe the new hoses had a smaller OD than the originals (just assuming) and the Cheney clamp ovalized (fact) going to that small of an OD.

All - thank you for the replies! Having now removed the hose that was on I see the issue at the firewall . . . As you said Erica without a flange/ferrule on the firewall pipe the OD is significantly smaller than the OD on the intake inlet - My rough measurement showed 1/2" -vs- 5/8" OD respectively.

Note the pic here where I cut a piece of 1/2" ID 5/8" heater hose and slid it onto the firewall fitting - quite a gap . . .

My wonderment is whether or not hose #25124 takes the difference into consideration on either end - (probably not I’m guessing so I’ll get the Permatex Shellac Erica!) - or that it is simply a bit smaller on the ID which would help . . .

I live by Kalamazoo MI and will go to the Jaguar parts distributor there and look at a #25124 Monday before I commit to another solution. Am changing to Jubilee clamps now too which is how this all began!

More to follow . . . Thanks, David

I’d get a hose with the smaller ID to fit snugly over the pipe and force it over the larger nipple on the intake manifold. Cleaning up both the end of the pipe and the nipple with emery paper will also help the seal.

IIRC you are using one hose for two different pipe sizes. The heater pipe on the fire wall being smaller.

If you’re measuring a close 1/2" on that pipe then you’ll have a very easy time with a standard plumbing ferrule. I wouldn’t bother trying to solder it as it will be way too hard to clean up that old steel pipe and too much heat would be required. But if you glue it on with epoxy or JB, it will fill in the roughness of the pipe and give you something large to clamp behind. There are a couple of places where there exists these asymmetric hose connections. The other is the oil return hose at the bottom. The best fix is to make the small end bigger.

Actually, simple. Make sure both the inside of the hose, and the outside of the pipe are absolutely squeaky clean and dry. Getting the hose to slide on will be hard, but once clamped it will also be near impossible to remove. ANY oil, grease, or even coolant on the pipe, and it will slide right off once the system is pressurized, no matter how tight you get the clamp.

Regards,
Ray L.

It’s hard with that particular one for the reasons discussed. The fitting on the manifold is 5/8". So it’s similar to the oil return hose.

I got a smaller one, for the firewall pipe, immersed the other end in boiling water, then slid it onto the manifold pupe.

Problem solved with a $1.29 hose from ye FLAPS.