Heater Not All That Hot

Very sage, approach, DD. One thing I wondered about when back-flushing a heater core was for the bad stuff, if any is in the core, to end up loose in the cooling system and possibly clog up the radiator core and/or a radiator hose, with even more disastrous results. :grimacing: Your method seems to eliminate that risk as much as possible. :+1:

Since I don’t have access to a garden hose set up, being an apt. dweller, I guess I could attach clamps to the ends of both the added hoses and drive Superblue to the car wash and use a pressure wand to do the same thing, right? :confused:

I think a pressure wash would be way too harsh, better to just use a hose attached to a normal water tap if you can rig something like that up at the car wash, or talk to a friendly service garage?

1 Like

Was talking to a tech bud of mine about that and he agreed with you. However, I mentioned the “spot-free rinse” operation, which puts out even less pressure than a garden hose, IMHO, similar to a rain shower, and he said he thinks that would be safe to go with.

My smart-@$$ question is how are you going to drive it to the car wash after the hoses are disconnected and sitting with heater core cleaner for 12 hours?

As long as you are doing this I suppose you should buy the extra length of hose and connect the block flow, bypassing the heater valve and heater core until after your flushing activities are completed

Use a loop of hose to connect the two ports from the engine.

1 Like

Otherwise won’t make it to the carwash

You don’t really need to loop a bypass; you could just plug both connections.

3 Likes

Kinda what I thought of, but, hey: I’m just a bus driver.

:smiley:

6 of one 1/2 dozen of t’other :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oops - didn’t think about that - at least other than also clamping off the heater hose ports somehow at the other ends (i.e. on the engine block)! I guess I was assuming the “loop” in the system that goes to/from the heater core doesn’t hold enough coolant to undermine the engine cooling function in general. If so, then I could run a temporary bypass hose connecting up the heater hose ports. :thinking:

Exactly, as I mentioned already. Phew! :relieved:

That’s the approach I’ll go with then, Kirby. Thanks! :smile:

So I disconnected heater hoses to core, I was easily able to blow out core water with my lungs. Input some CLR in there for 5 minutes, flushed with garden hose. Nice and clean came out.
I’m currently soaking the core with vinegar now, will flush again later.
But I’m thinking my core is not clogged…I will probably investigate if the vacuum is being applied to the new heater valve I installed when it shouldn’t. I know my upper vents sometimes come on during heat when they shouldn’t. I could have some malfunction or vacuum issues with MK3 system…

Georg, I think I have the same problem as you. Because the engine heats up quickly, and when I turn on the air in the cabin, nothing flies. I’m trying to get to this heater / device over the passenger’s legs and check. Does he work well with you?

I’m sorry, Greg, I got your name wrong :slight_smile:

Not sure, I’m giving the vinegar 24 hours to work.

Next is to test that a vacuum isn’t being sent to heater control valve when it shouldn’t. (Vacuum closes valve, no vacuum opens it)

A common issue is that the heater control valve sticks closed. You should check that. I replaced mine, but it did not help.

Can you hook it all up, and just not use the water valve, as a test?

CLR, eh? I have still have an old jug of that stuff and can’t even remember why I originally bought it. Sounds like it’s worth a shot using on Superblue … :thinking:

Can you just place a finger over the vacuum hose when the switch is on to see if you feel a vacuum being applied (can you guess - I don’t have a vacuum gauge :blush:) ?

I only left it in for 5 minutes, probably didn’t do much. I was afraid to leave it in longer, as it said not to use on copper, brass or aluminum.

Yes, easy for me to test for vacuum at the control valve, just haven’t got to it yet.

Will flush tomorrow after vinegar in there for 24 hours. Will report back.