Heater Valve cable

It looks like the heater valve cable for my car has broken off and was wanting to replace it. I have two questions.

1. How hard is to replace? can you just replace the inner wire with out trying to fish the whole cable thru the dash.
    2 has anyone came up with a heater valve that has the opposite throw, so that those individuals that live in hot climates do not have to have the lever pulled out to cut off the flow of hot water?
  2. I know most people just disconnect it, but I just like every thing to work.

Thanks Dennis

Lever pulled out? Levers are up and down for the water valve after and the air flow flap. Or am I missing something?

Pulled out/up is cold/ pushed in heat

I fear you will have to remove the top of the dash to connect the wire to the levers if nothing else. I had to when the choke cable came loose, took the opportunity to snug up everything. it’s fiddly and somewhat time consuming but not difficult. Take LOTS of pictures to remember where all the screws and nuts go.

Ok, I didn’t realize that the mechanism was a bit different on a S2. Looked it up and now understand what you are describing. I was missing something

Larry

Years ago I replaced my inner wire with a new wire.
For some reason the inner wire was bent and this made pulling it very hard.
When I put it in I sprayed it with a graphite spray that hardened and it has been fine since.
I would think greasing it first would work just as well
Dennis
69 OTS

I agree you’ll want to remove the top of the dash, but once off it looks like it would be easy to replace that inner cable:

I already have the dash off, so it was easy to feed the inner wire thru the old outer cover? Thanks Dennis

Normally both the cable and sheath are supplied and replaced. Inside of the sheath can be corroded.

Ok, problem solved, yes you do have to remove the dash top, I pulled the old inner cable out and replaced no problem. Thanks everyone.

I was also having a problem with the heater box cable. when you pushed it in the cable would not force the flapper door spring over top dead center, but in stead would just bow the cable in the dash. I decided that the cable in the dash might be fatigued, so I pull the inner cable lubed everything and reversed the ends of the inner cable as I reinserted it into the dash. I reconnected everything and with little fiddling got it to work fine. Question when the flapper door does flip, it does so with a bang, Should there be some kind of gasket ? that stop the bang noise?