Heavier piping / welting for Xk120 body shut panel

Does anyone know where to get the “heavier piping / welting” for the XK120 body shut panel?

Urs Schmid’s book (Vol 2 pg 128) specifies BD3786 ‘Rubo’ Piping. The JCNA Draft Judging guide says "There should be relatively heavy piping between the front face of the rear wing/fender and the body shut panel; this piping is heavier that the piping between the wings and body. Using fender piping (welting) between the front face of the rear wing/fender and the body shut panel is “non-authentic”.

I am ready to paint the body (FHC), and had been planning on using the standard fender piping until I just read the above. Now I am in a panic to get proper piping and can’t seem to find it anywhere (which is why i originally was going with fender piping).

Thanks for your help!

Contact Bill Basset. That’s where I got mine from four years ago.

Thank Daniel. I checked with Bill and he does indeed have it!

I’m not familiar with what Bill has … the correct piping has a soft sponge rubber core with a natural black rubber coated unbleached canvas wrap. ( mackintosh) material. You should be able to see the weave of the fabric in the rubber of the coating. All the rubber cores I’ve seen are in quite poor condition …my best guess is that the core sponge is 3/16"

I remembered seeing this posting a few months ago, and needed that BD 3786 part, so I called Bassett’s to get it, and talked to Bill. He says that what he believes to be correct is a thinner piping (thinner than fender welting) and that it’s never painted except the early cars. He says this is what he has made and sold for 40 years. That does not jibe with what came out of my car (looks just like the description from Godfrey, 5/16 overall o/d) or the book. The piece from my FHC is painted, although the car was apparently changed from battleship grey to white at the dealership (guess they couldn’t sell it!), so could have been changed. Does anybody know of another source for this piping? I believe I could make something that would pass, but would rather not. Thanks

Hello Ron what I used is good old ‘Mackintosh’ a thin UNBLEACHED cotton, covered in an equally thin coating of natural black rubber… with a black soft foam core . don’t remember where I got the core from too many years gone by… Think you will have to make it as I am not aware of any this is correct being available commercially. Mackintosh can be purchased in sheets and it MUST have a thin enough coating of rubber to be able to see the weave of the cotton through it.

Thanks. It might be a tough to make it “correct”. I’m sure I can find the core, but the fabric looks to be a problem. A quick check online didn’t turn up any sources for that material, and my local upholstery and fabric stores had no idea where to find it. If I find a source or reasonable facsimile, I’ll post.

It isn’t easy to find … I had a hard time 30 years ago try the UK G

Below is a pic of the presumably original fender welting on my XK120 OTS built Sept 1952. Per the heritage certificate, the car was originally silver. It was repainted black in the 60s. Both the silver and black are visible in the pic. Also, the original twisted brown paper core is visible. It is a coated fabric except where the coating and paint have chipped off. I’m guessing this is the BD.813 version of the welting. The bead measures at exactly 1/4" with a micrometer however note that this measurement include the additional layer of black paint.

This coated fabric fender welting with a paper core from the earlier XK120s is similar, if not identical to that used on American Ford cars and pickup trucks of the 30s and 40s. It can be obtained through several sources including Roy Nacewicz (www.fordscript.com) with the paper core or a similar product from Restoration Specialities (http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/190-ws-sold-by-the-foot/) with a foam core. Note that Restoration Specialities offers several different diameters of beading.

As has already been stated, Bill Bassett can supply the later vinyl fender welting.

We had a quick email exchange on this subject with Urs few years ago:

Regards, Tadek

From: Urs Schmid
Sent: Monday, June 8, 2015 1:28 PM
To: Tadeusz Malkiewicz
Subject: Re: Question on rear welting for the rear wing and the shut face


On my 22000 mile 120 OTS the original welting is still there. Your description corresponds to it except for the tube. It’s core does not consist from rubber but from cord which is wrapped by Rexine with rubber backing, the rubber being glued to the cord. This sort of gasket is called “Rubo” gasket. The gasket was overpainted in the colour shade of the car but the colour breaks by aging and usage so that on many original cars just the the black rubber/cord tube rests.

Hope this helps

Best regards


From: Tadeusz Malkiewicz

Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2015 6:49 PM

To: [‘Urs Schmid’]

Subject: Question on rear welting for the rear wing and the shut face

Hello Urs,

I am so sorry to bother you, but I am wondering whether you ever had a good look at the welting for the rear wing on the shut face. I am trying to find the correct material, but I’m a bit lost.

I understood the welt is constructed as follows:

  • a 5mm sponge rubber rod on the inside
  • the rod is surrounded by a canvas material with rubber backing the thickness is a little less than 1/4’’.
  • the canvas in on the outside (rubber backing on the inside) and is painted body colour.
  • the length is less than 2 ft.

This welting appears in 2 places in your book (page 230, vol 1), (p.52, Vol 2).

Could you possibly confirm if my assumption is correct?

Best Regards,


Thanks Bruce. This is very helpful information.

This piping is listed in the Jaguar Spare Parts Catalogue: “Jaguar XK 120 Fixed Head Models”.
Listed as BD 3786 “Rubo” gasket for rear wings 1/4 inch diameter by 2ft 3 inches long - one each side.
This is almost certainly the BD 8786 that Viart notes on page 405 which is probably a typo…*