Heavy "Card Stock" used in interior

What does everyone use to replace this stuff (see chalk outline)
It looks like the same thing they put under the seats and on the trunk floor. But, in the foot well it just came off, not stuck as if epoxied as the other two areas were.

If you mean the finished surface, it’s hardura and wraps around the A pillar to the inside of the skin. If you mean an underlayment, then I’d use Dynamat or equivalent. But to my recollection, there was no underlayment originally.

Bill,
From your posted photo I noted one item you may want to address. There appears to be plastic sheeting on the outer surface of the door inside. That “water shield” should go inside the door! As installed it will direct rainwater to the door card which will, in turn, lead to a host of other problems. Installed inside the door, it directs water to the door bottom where the drains are located. Just something I noted.
The side kick boards and door cards may be duplicated using mill board. Available from most upholstery supply firms.
Have fun on you journey to put your Kitty back on the road.

Happy Trails,

Dick

really? Every car I have ev er seen for the last 50 years has the sheet where that is. The water is then diverted back inside the door, to drip out weep holes of follow the plastic down to the sill where it then rolls out under the door.

How can you possibly get the plastic inside without the help of a Leprechaun ?

Bill;
Dick is correct in his suggestion, the plastic sheet goes to the inside of the door to divert water to the drain holes. It does take some effort and time but then it is correct. Just because others have taken a short cut does not make it right.

Regards, Joel…

Bill, I believe you have the plastic sheet installed correctly. It serves as a vapor barrier to keep moisture off the door card. Any water getting past the window seals can find its way to the bottom of the door and the drains. With the window mechanism, there’s no way to install the sheet inside the door frame and keep it intact.

One thing I’ve discovered with the original cardstock is that it is thinner than anything available today. Makes refitting the door and window handle escutcheons difficult.

Bill;
Here are some photos from my restoration work on my car. Number 4 is shown twice and the wording on #4 you should ignore.
http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=1475159221

Regards, Joel…

Bill;
Your car, a series 1, may indeed have had the plastic installed on the ‘outside’ (next to the door card), the S 2 cars the plastic was installed differently.

Regards, Joel…

Tarpaper. Same stuff used as roofing underlay.

My S 1 has metal plates attached in the lower holes to divert the water to the door bottom.
Tom

Any manufacturer today puts it between the door and the interior door panel, even with today’s plastic interior door panels. I’ve never seen a modern car where it is interior of the door. There must be a reason.

Larry;
I am sure you have heard the saying, “time is money”, I think that is the reason to put the plastic on the ‘outside’ of the door.
My time is worth almost nothing now and I had a pattern for the inside the door mounted plastic and so my car is as I think it should be, and that matters to me! I may have fallen into the trap that Nick’s kids may face in 30 to 40 years and they will swear that the Jaguar people put tar paper on the cars to begin with and ‘it worked well’

Regards, Joel…

Dick and Joel are correct, the plastic is indeed attached to the inside of the Etype doors. On the Etype, the weatherstripping for the bottom of the door is mounted at the very outside of the sill where it contacts the seam where the door skin wraps around the back of the inner door frame. If the plastic was mounted between the door and door panel, the water could work its way down to the sill but would have no way to drain out as the weatherstripping at the sill seals its path. by putting the plastic on the inside of the door structure, the water is diverted to the inside of the door where there are 2 openings by the door skin which have shaped metal pieces riveted to prevent the weatherstripping from blocking them. I made a pattern from a salvaged original plastic as it is a very specific shape with some clearance holes cut out. I make new ones from 6 mil plastic sheeting and glue them with contact adhesive to the top 2/3 of the door before the window regulator is installed. That’s how the factory did it and really isn’t that difficult.

On modern cars, the weatherstripping is installed towards the inside of the car where it seals to the door structure, not the skin, so the water has a path to escape.

Ok, I understand now. :+1:

Would you be able to post a photo of the pattern with dimensions?

This is a Series 3 E-type, factory original, with the plastic sheeting installed inside the door. Any water entering would be channeled to the door drains.

Jaguar installed plastic clip retainers, seal with some sort of mastic, to aid in keeping water out of the car interior.
It’s a lot easier to install the water barrier plastic on the inner door face but that will just divert water to the inner sill/door card area. Just though I’d pass along an observation.

Happy Trails,

Dick

P.S. 4 to 6 mm plastic sheeting will do the job. Just make sure the material isn’t a new “Bio-degradable” product!!! Tar Paper…Whatever!!!

2 Likes

Geoff;
I will post some photos of the plastic I removed from my right and left doors as I was taking the car (1970, 2+2) apart in 2009 for the restoration. Hope these help.
http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=1424378332

Regards, Joel…

1 Like

Nck,
was the sill originally covered like that over the body harness or is that a mod you decided upon?

It’s been awhile since I did the interior refresh but I believe it was the original approach, Bill. The hardura would otherwise telegraph the deep depressions in the panels they cover. You want them to be flat. The same approach is taken when reupholstering the rear bulkhead.

The tarpaper is waterproof and also receives contact cement well.

That’s the only way I’ve ever seen it: even my ‘old’ Rover has it that way. That said, Tweety’s doors had been apart for so long I do not recall it being on the inside of the door.

When I replace it, I use 3M glue and Saran Wrap… works a charm!