Hello everyone...We've just got a MKIV

…We’ve just acquired a '47 MKIV 1.5L . It’s all sound, needing no welding or painting, it does however require almost complete reassembly. She’s sitting on her wheels and has brakes, but other than that, it all in boxes. I’ll be needing lots of help, guidance and doubtless pictures of what it’s supposed to look like!!

Hope to speak to you all soon.

Guy

Welcome and congrats on your find.
Let us know the chassis number so we can help with appropriate answers when the questions start flowing. That’s what this forum is all about.
Take a look at
www.saloondata.com
and enter your chassis number and other numbers there.
You can browse there and find pictures of other similar cars.

Guy

Congratulations, That reminds me of when I bought my current car . arrived home on a tilt tray with all the parts filling the back of a utility.
Someone has saved me the trouble of dismantling it , Even to removing grub screws from electrics.
Sort of like a # 5000 Meccano set.

Most stuff is available for them .

Now I found saloondata.com, but couldn’t get anywhere with it. Couldn’t see how to get in as it were.

Still got loads of bits to arrive, including the engine!! It’s a car I know almost nothing about strangely. We pretty much bought it by accident ( Actually that’s how almost all the classics I’ve had come about!)

I’ve got another project underway ( Armstrong Siddeley Star Sapphire ) and the Cat will take a back seat for a while, but, I’m surprised at how little in depth reading there is online. for example, what’s the history of the engine? Was it exclusive to the Jaguar or did Standard use it elsewhere?

What are its known weaknesses? Stuff I can address on reassembly?

I’ll post some pics if I can work out how :slight_smile:

I have a Mark V, the next newer model, so others with better knowledge of the 1.5 litre will be able to tell you what other Standards and Triumphs used it.
To navigate saloondata, look on the left hand side menu for “find car”, enter your chassis number and hit go. If your car is not already listed you can hit “enter” and enter the data for it.
To add pictures to saloondata, hit “add photos”, then you have to browse your own computer folders to find the photos you want to add, select them one at a time and finally when you have them all in the list hit “submit”. It will then ask you to categorize them and you can add a photo credit if you want to.
You can hit Browse, select Mark IV and engine size from the pull down menus and look at pictures of other Mark IVs.
To add photos here on jag-lovers, first put your cursor at the end of your text, then click the Upload icon at the top of your text box and browse your computer folders for the pix you want. Select each file, then hit Upload.

Hi Trampintransit,

Welcome to JagLovers.
You can get some of the car’s history here: http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/ss_jaguar.htm

and http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/new%20page%2012.htm

Peter

Congratulations Guy,

There are plenty of folk here with the knowledge to assist you with any query you have, and they are always willing to offer advice… (sometimes even when you don’t ask for it) :smile:

Regards,

Jon
Mt Macedon
Australia

The engine was actually an OHV conversion of the 4 cylinder side valve Standard engine. THis is pretty obvious when you look at the head. It was used in Standard TRiump , SS , Jaguar and I think briefly , some Morgans. In the block casting sometimes one can see th e outline of the insert used at the foundry for the different makers / A hex outline for SS , and oblong recangle for Standard or a lozenge shape fro Standard.
In some ways it is a 4 cylinder version of the 6 cylinder 2 1/2 litre engine…a 2 1/2 with 2 cylinders removed.
Itis blessed with steel conrods as standard but would probably benefit from conversion to the twin timing chain used on 3 1/2 litre post war MK IV /Vs.
Compared to a 6 cylinder Jaguar, the chassis is shorter at the front ithas smaller single leading show brakes, smaller wheel hubs/ centres, a different HA diff , a different gearbox and a different steering box.

They are a nice car , unfairly suffering from having the 6 cylinder cars as big brothers but a fairer comparison would be with other contemporaries in its class, Mg Y type, Morrises and Woloselys etc.
The engine has 4 inlet ports and I always thought that a wtin carby conversion would be easy and may assist.
WE aren’t as worried by petrol consumptionas they were then.

1 Like

Well, it’s been a long time coming, but I’ve finally pulled the covers off this MKIV. First up is…do I have a working engine? ( It’s sat in front of the car staring at me …with contempt) . I’m goingto see if I can get the starter motor to work, put it on, spin it up and check compression. . I need a workshop manual and I see they are available on Amazon of all places …but I really prefer a digital version ( I like to have one on my phone ) …anybody know if there is a pdf of the workshop manual anywhere?

Also, The car is pos earth…I’d like to swap it ( Which obviously means a new starter motor, but that’s OK, the one I have looks pretty sad!) …Is there any problem with any of the instruments being swapped?

Yes, there are portable file documents of the shop and parts manuals. Jaguar Cars Limited produced a CDROM sold through Jaguar Heritage. Not sure if they still are for sale, I bought a copy about a decade ago.

You don’t need to change the starter motor. It can be rebuilt/restored. I just finished restoring the 9/37 starter for my '38 car; cranks it just fine now.
There is no reason for changing the polarity other than to put in an alternator or a modern radio or other modern music system.
Lucas even published a technical paper defending the concept of positive earth, relating to better spark at the plugs. I found it on a Triumph lovers site and if I can find the link I’ll post it here. I did once before so it might be in the archives.

As stated, the starter will rotate in the same direction regardless of polarity. The dynamo needs no alteration other than a simple flash to repolarise the field magnism. The change required to the electrical system is swapping the ammeter connections so that it reads the correct sense but even that is non essential.

Peter

Yes Changing polarity might fall into the ‘seemed like a good idea at he time category’
A friend went to the trouble converting having the Philco radio converted to blue tooth and FM. And has never once used that .
With the inevitable wind noise and tyre noise Hi fidelity might be the least of ones troubles.
Although if the urge for an alternator is too great, you can now buy alternators that look like a Lucas generator