Help, 4.2L distributor drive shaft housing

Can any one tell me what the orientation of the brass distributor housing is on a s3, 4.2? Does the flat side face the front of the engine and the set screw holds it in?

Hi Henry,

does this help? I’m not sure what brass housing you are referring to, is it the distributor housing? Here is a drawing from the workshop manual.

Good luck.

David

David, it the brass housing that holds the drive for the oil pump.

g

The distributor drive shaft housing. I don’t know and others will add experience:

I’m new to the Jaguar forum. Thanks for the replies about brass bushing.
I understand the book says facing back, any rational for it not to be either way? The large machine groove is inline with the oil inlet from the block and completely circles the bushing. Then the flat is level with the bottom of the groove and would feed the hole to the dizzy shaft with oil.
Henry

The set screw is meant to prevent the hosing from rotating, Henry - and as such should fit on to the flat section of the housing…? And the hole does indeed feed oil to the dist shaft inside the bushing…

Obviously, you have done a bit of strip-down, so what problem(s) are you actually attending to? :slight_smile:

Welcome on board!

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

That would mean that the flat should face forward so the bolt will stop it from turining. This way it would not put pressure on the round part of the bushing!