Help I am dreaming about 1985 Aus XJ6 series 3 injectors not firing!

Should have read the preceding before posting!!

Glad all is well. persistence works, each and every time…

Enjoy…
Carl

1 Like

Mark…EXCELLENT video clearly explained in 1 1/2 minutes! A lot of valuable info in a short time!

Richard
1983 XJ6 VP
1985 XJ6 VP

1 Like

I can confirm from my own experience four or five years ago on my 1986 cirrus gray XJ6 the frustration of trying to solve the ‘no start’ condition on the car. After having replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and the coil, car would start up, drive ok for a quarter mile or so, then suddenly stop running. After replacing the faulty ignition amplifier as a last resort upon the sage advice of a fellow Jag club member, problem was solved and the car has been running well ever since. I relate to the sense of euphoria you describe when your problem was finally solved, which I still remember feeling when the new ignition amplifier cured my car’s malady as well.

1 Like

For those interested we ran Into even more problems the fuel in both tanks had turned to what I can only describe as treacle despite draining the tanks of stale fuel early on we didn’t pick up on this the first time as its so thick it doesnt even barely drip out, after eventually starting and running for a while the car seemed like it was starving for fuel. Pump started getting hot etc We went back and checked everything and discovered the in tank filters were gummed up almost solid with this stuff, seeming now like solvent is making it dissolve but fresh fuel definitely didnt so we are currently flushing the tanks out and have brought new filters. What a ride this has been.

Mark,
Thanks for posting this update. Stale and solidified fuel seems to be a common problem in cars that have sat for a long time. Completely draining the tanks, removing and replacing the in tank filters, flushing the fuel lines, and removing and replacing all the fuel hoses, new filters, and serviced fuel injectors are probably in order for those facing similar challenges. It seems natural to blame electrical issues first, but fuel delivery systems should probably be the first priority.

Paul

I agree Paul and for those out there I think it should be first port of call. To double and triple check these things as for us draining tanks was not enough.

That said we did have some electrical issues on this one also. That compounded the problem. But that’s all in the past and she is running sweet now.