Help needed getting keys for an XJ6

Hello Jag Lovers,

I am finally getting back to doing something with my car, 1985 XJ6. I inherited it a while ago but never got around to doing anything with it. The car has been sitting for over 20 years. I was only able to find the ignition key when I got the car. Now I need to get keys for it because I have no way to lock the doors or the tanks and can’t get into the trunk/boot. Has anybody had any luck getting key codes based on the VIN? When I checked Jaguar Classic, they said there was only 2 keys recorded for this car. The tank locks were not recorded. I know I need to get key blanks for all the keys but don’t know which one to get for the tanks. I vaguely remember what the tank key looked like on my parents 87 XJ6. I used that car a lot but don’t know if there are any differences between the 87 and 85 XJ6. Is the better option to get key blanks and have a locksmith make the keys based on the current locks?

Thanks,
Patrick
1985 XJ6

Used locks with keys via David Boger at Everydayxj…

Thanks, I only found a set of fuel filler caps with a key on there. I might jump on that. Even if I find used locks with keys, I still need a way to get into the boot/trunk.

Patrick,

they came with

• ignition key (one-sided, usually with black plastic head)
  • larger key for doors and fuel doors (two-sided)
  • smaller key for trunk and glove box (two-sided).

Blanks are easy to find and if you’re lucky you can remake the key. Otherwise you may try to find a set of locks with keys and replace them.

Good luck and keep us posted

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Patrick,
You can very easily remove the door lock (passenger side is better as it would be less worn), take it to a locksmith and they could make you a key. (Not the glove compartment or the gas tank one because their cylinders have one lock plate less).
It will work for everything as it’s the same key.

Just a minor correction, Jochen - the larger (longer) key was the ‘owner’s’ key, the smaller was the ‘valet’ key. The former operated all locks - the latter, valet, key operated only the doors and the filler lids. The valet key did not operate the boot and the glove box - owner’s privacy. For the same reason; the central locking system did not open the boot, only locked it…

Using a locksmith to copy the keys, as suggested by Aristides is a viable idea - but taking the glove compartment lid/lock is likely easier than removing a door lock…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

Thanks Frank,

for the clarification! In a wrong assumption of “all being equal” I described the SII setup which achieves the same goal (you let the valet have only two keys) but doesn’t offer the flexibility for the owner to use only two keys.

Best

Jochen

Thanks all for the great responses. This is all very helpful. I am assuming any of the BL6 key blanks will work as an owners key for all of the locks when going to a locksmith. If that doesn’t work out, I will go the way of finding a used set of locks and keys.

Regards,
Patrick

Easier yes, but I think that the glove box lock has one lock plate less than the others so the produced key might not work on the other locks.
Don’t know how they achieve the valet key function, so maybe safer to take both door and glove box locks to the locksmith to be sure.

The valet key is slightly shorter, Aristides - and Jaguar always considered the glove box and boot as owners private domains. Requiring no valet access without owners’ say so - besides, the glove box and boot locks may be less worn. Door and fuel lid lock keys copied from the door lock may not work on the boot. However, locksmiths have their own tricks, and may solve the difference in key/lock matching by other means…

Frank

1 Like

I took out the glove box lock and the passenger door lock this weekend. Both have the same key code on them. I am assuming if I get a key made using that key code, it should also work in the trunk and fuel filler locks. I am just trying to avoid having to to unnecessarily break into the trunk just to remove the lock.

I would just go to a LOCK & KEY shop and let them make
new ones of what you need.
Walter

Is that the key code, or just the key blank code…

But as Walter says - a locksmith will work it out from the lock itself…

Frank

If you make a key that works on the door in theory should also work on the fuel filler and trunk locks.
No need to further dismantle anything.

Maybe not. The door should work with a valet key. Glovebox, fuel filler and trunk should not open with the valet key. If your locksmith makes a key based on the glovebox lock, it should fit everything. The only reason to fiddle with the door lock would be to create a valet key.

Correct, I should have said door and glove box lock, but jstbugn has it also the at hand.

If I recall correctly, there is a hole under the license plate that allows the boot lid lock to be circumvented and the lid opened. Or drill one.
Remove the lock, take it to the locksmith.

Hello jstbugn,

Call David, or email him, his website is the tip of the iceberg as to what he has available, and he is incredibly amiable.

Just to emphasize, Aristides - the valet could indeed fill the tanks…:slight_smile:

Frank

Frank,

indeed I seem to remember that during the economic crisis in the 1930s it was common business practice for the up-market restaurants at the west coast to attract customers by offering free refill - of gas! - while you were dining. That may be the reason for valet keys opening fuel caps.

Today twin tanks of fuel are worth a lot more than the contents of your glove box … you’d be rather afraid of fuel theft.

Anyhow, the key scheme evokes memories of times gone by - just as the “central locking” in SII cars.

Have a nice week end

Jochen