Help needed getting keys for an XJ6

Surely not by a valet, Jochen…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Valets have been known to steal the whole car…

That will solve the key problem, Carl…:slight_smile:

Frank

I don’t think I know David. Can you provide his information?

Thanks,
Patrick

I was able to get a set of keys cut from the codes I found and they worked in the glove box and door locks. I will try them in the fuel filler caps and trunk this weekend. I also got a set of blank WASO keys and took them to a locksmith to copy the partial ignition key (missing the plastic part) that I had. If they all work I can start preparing to do the first start of this car in almost 25 years (that is another topic). The information provided here has been great.

Thanks,
Patrick

Just contact him via the website, he’s usually very prompt

https://shop.everydayxj.com

Patrick,

if the locks are original, they will! Even if it may look like the keys don’t fit, don’t let yourself be fooled …

When I got my car the PO apologized that the keys wouldn’t lock the fuel filler caps. So I got myself a nice spare pair including keys. When I got at the job I realized swapping out the caps was a serious undertaking. So I thought I might just give the original barrels another try. In fact, with a lot of oil, solvent, alcohol, wiggling, pressing, flooding and about an hour of my time and a lot of sweat I had both lock cylinders free again. It was just a matter of calcium residues, corrosion, lack of grease and use that had baked them solid.

My initial failure symptoms were that the original keys wouldn’t even slide into the obviously original lock cylinders - that was what made me suspicious, as any original blank should slide into the cylinder, even if it wouldn’t turn the barrel.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

The new keys worked in all the locks except the trunk. The key went all the way into the trunk lock but I could not get the cylinder to turn. I am assuming this an original lock and I have the right key. The car has been in the family since 1996.
I sprayed silicone into the lock a couple times but that only helped to get a slight turn after several tries. I am thinking about spraying some Liquid Wrench or WD40 into the lock and letting it sit for a bit before trying again. I just don’t want to create another problem in doing so.

Thanks,
Patrick

If the key works on the glove box it should also work on the trunk.
Is the trunk locked? there is a way to manually unlock it by removing the license plate and accessing the lock rod from the holes of the trunk, search the archives.
I would not force the lock too much.
Best is to remove the lock, take the barrel out and see why it doesn’t work. It’s a rather delicate process.

As Aristides says, Patrick - if it works the glove box it should indeed work the trunk!

One possibility is that the trunk lock has been manhandled - trying to unlock it with anything but the proper key. Any clue in that direction - lock barrel is indeed somewhat frail…

As Aristides also says; there are ways described in the Archives to access the linkage for bypassing the lock. It requires boring a hole at a precise location - if none is visible when removing the number plate…

Frank