Help with 1970 OTS Dash with Air Conditioning

Hello,
I need help identifying some things with my dash. I know the aftermarket woodgrain is not original. It also looks to me that the silver outlets for the air conditioner is not correct. I’m thinking it should be black.

Does anyone have any experience in removing the woodgrain from dash, console, and upper door panels. Also does anyone have a picture of a 1970 dash with air conditioning?

I included a picture of my dash.

This is a 1970 w/ A/C from the interwebs

My ex… it was sold as a 71 but in this respect would be the same as a 70.

Click twice on the image for a closer look.

My suggestion would be to paint the A/C fascia with krinkle black and call it a day. The A/C fascias on these cars were very delicate, very few survived unbroken, and they disappear quickly when they appear on the market. For the wood, I’m guessing it’s glued. You really can’t use a heat gun, because the wood would burn before the glue softened. I guess the best thing is to use a sharp knife and try to part it from the panels. But once you start, you’re pretty much committed.

Here is a 69 2+2, it’s the same as a 70, AFAIK, except for the center console.

As for the wood glued to the dash surfaces, that’s going to depend somewhat on what kind of glue was used. You might want to remove the glove box door and try gently prying it off with a putty knife. IIRC, mineral spirits won’t hurt the original dash covering so a bit of that might soften the glue. However you do it it will be tedious with a fair chance of damaging the vinyl.

the wood paneling is made of some kind of plastic - so heat might work but it could damage the underneath - but I think the underneath is going to be damaged no matter what

Worse case if I damage the vinyl underneath - would I just replace with new vinyl?

Here are my 2 cents.
Before you do anything, make sure you can get replacement vinyl to recover the dash.
I think that to remove the wood veneer more easily the dash should be removed so it will be easy for you to put parts in angles that it is easier to work with. In any case, try prying it off with a spatula. Who knows; you might get lucky.
If the glue that was used is heavy duty glue ( you have to assume it was because it was meant not to come off) no matter what method you use to remove it, it likely to damage the original Vinyl. if that is the case, one way to remove everything (Wood veneer and original vinyl) is to apply some heat from the back side. It will break the bond between the the dash panel and the original vinyl. Everything will come off.
An alternative would be to go on a search of a used dash on Ebay, or Hemmings.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out if you decide to attempt this project.
Bill.

Bill.
I can get replacement kit vinyl from moss motors. I don’t know how hard it is to replace. But that is what I’m thinking.

I think you are right about removing the dash.

Covering it is the easy bit…….lot of work to remove the dash top, instruments and switches, choke and heater controls etc…… but you will get a great result using vinyl…… if the “wood” is just glued to the original covering …… just remove the whole of the covering ….dead easy.

Is that like a bench top material?..…

Hi Steven,
At first glance, I don’t think that installing a new vinyl covering should too difficult. All the surfaces are pretty flat. You can’t leave any glue residue or it may show under the new vinyl. But what will be an involved task, is the removal of the dash. Consider that you will have to remove the dash top, all the gauges and switches. You will also have to disconnect most of the electrical connections to the instruments. I am in the process of restoring a 68 FHC and am working on the dash wiring now. If you take your time it is very doable, but it is time consuming. Make sure to mark all the wires well and take lots of photos.
Bill.

1 Like

Where would I get a step by step procedure on removing dash, instruments etc?

From the manual would be a good start and lookup threads on dash removal on this site

John,
Thanks for the tip about mineral spirits. The good news is I removed just a corner of the wood/rubber/plastic and it came off without damaging the original covering. I did leave a tiny residue that I could even remove by hand. I think mineral spirits might just work on this. I’ll try soon

1 Like

Excellent, I’m glad it’s working for you.

mineral spirits worked like a charm. It takes awhile but here is the door with the wood/plastic removed

3 Likes

Michael

Does the AC fascia come off/install without having to remove the evaporator?

On the original, you would at least have to lower the evaporator. On this, I don’t know.