Help with Gauges?

So I have a 1980 XJ6 series 3 with a GM 305 in it. I’m trying to out how to connect my oil pressure gauge, temp gauge and Speedo. I would like to keep all of my original dash gauges. Is there an easy fix for this? Also,I found what appears to be the speedo cable terminating at the tail shaft. Was the original speedo a magnetic sensor type? Do I just need to epoxy a new magnet for the sensor to read? Any help,as always,is appreciated.

Welcome to 'lump land". I have offerings:

1. Did you buy a kit to make the swap? If so, which, JTR. Johns cars or Jaguar specialties. Each, in their own way can probably help.

2. Is the transmission on the 305, a TH350. Very common. Probably cable drive on it’s tail shaft. Your 80 car might have used a cable drive speedo. If so, a cable with a Jag head on one end and a GM on the other and you get numbers. Might be OK, or not. Matching .to be done.

3. OP. Use a Jaguar sensor. Adapter needed to the GM oil gallery. On mine, at the rear of the valve valley. Or, I found a Sun Pro sender plumbs in and can be adjusted to pulse for the Jaguar guage.

4. Temperature sensor. Merely more plumbing. Jag sensor on the GM sensor site.

Andrew Weinberg of Jaguar specialties can help. His forst swap was similar to yours, decades ago…

Carl
Carl

Hi Carl. Thanks for the info! I do believe it’s a TH350. The swap was a home build by the PO,so details are hard to come by and a lot was left unfinished. I’ll use your info as a starting point and see what I come up with. It seems matching these parts is one of the biggest challenges here bit it’s worth it! Thanks again, Dan

Sent on my Samsung Galaxy S® 6.

Dan.

Welcome. Most are home built. But, many use one of the kits available now or in the past. Each kit differs.

The transmission mount and engine mounts are strong clues as to the path taken. From home cut and welded, to kit parts.

Carl