Helpful valve, head, engine & carb listings chart

I have recently had to remove the head off of my mkII 3.8 and in the process decided I would make it a triple carb layout. I asked here, plus started to do research on which head went with what engine and which cam lifted what amount and what carb fitted on what layout. There was masses of information out there, so I’ve decided to collate it all and let everyone have the list. I don’t take the credit for getting the information in the first place, just for finding it all over the place and compiling it into what I hope some people will find a helpful list.

It covers the following models in part or whole: XK120, 120SE, 140, 150, 150s, C-Type, D-Type, E-Type, S-Type, mkI, mkII, mk7, mk8, mk10, 240, 340 & 420.
It has engine codes, head codes, head colours, manifold codes, carb types, valve sizes, valve angles and cam lift.

Hopefully someone will find it helpful.
Jaguar Codes.pdf (1.2 MB)

Handy to have, Cheers :+1:

You might want to correlate and check your information with these.
http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk-lovers/library/engine_numbers.htm
http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk-lovers/library/engines.html
These were generated in the early days of jag-lovers and since then there has been no way to update them. Hopefully the admins will eventually get time to come up with something in the form of a new information library.

Tim,

First up I think you have made a great effort and are to be commended, but I also support Rob’s suggestion of possibly checking/correlating certain information:
You also need to be careful checking ‘many references/sources’ as there is a risk of perpetuating old errors/ misinformation - not all references are reliable/accurate.

One thing that immediately glared for me, and I know you added a note, but ,

No cylinder heads were ever painted SILVER, so to refer to many heads up front as being SILVER in amongst other described as Red, Blue, Gold etc, very much implies you are saying painted Silver.
I think you are best to correctly say ‘unpainted Aluminium’ or just ‘Aluminium’ so there is no ambiguity, and indeed if you still want to add a note, have the note say ‘heads described as “Aluminium” mean the natural as-cast aluminium colour, and not painted.’

The second ‘error’ I note, is perpetuating the nonsense of their being an A1 head as well as an A head, and a B1 head as well as a B head. The concept of an A1 and B1 head is the strange concept from one source only that I am aware off, and not a source of any factory relevance. There are far better/relevant ways of more accurately differentiating variations within ‘A-type’ and ‘B-type’ heads, without using this A1/B1 irrelevance and indeed inaccuracy.

There are other minor errors as well in many of your date ranges shown, including XK120SE for instance which was 1952-1954, (not from 1949) and D-types were 1954-56 (not to 1957) and D-type ‘wide-angle’ heads 1956 only (not 1954 to 57), and so on, but these are detail you would find in Rob’s links.

But its your efforts/your chart - my suggestions are just that, but may improve things.