Henly's Arm Rest Box

Hello friends,

I’ve seen this discussed on the forum but no discussion about the dimensions of the Arm Rest Box. According to a post from 2000 a contributor said that he bought one directly from Henly’s in 1959. His recollection was that they came in two different widths. Does anyone have the dimensions and would they would be willing to share them on this Forum? I was also wondering how it was secured? I can’t imagine that it would be safe having it unsecured. The thought of it disappearing into the footwell under heavy or emergency braking isn’t terribly appealing.

d298372ad1cd6dd2133353218ce64ec585822cf3_2_690x460
Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim,
I have an original Henley’s “Cubby box” . I can dig it out and take some photos and include some measurements. The box doesn’t look like it was attached to the floor . I guess it fitted snugly between the seats and this was enough to stop it flying forward. They were crudely made and didn’t have the external leather stitching as shown in the grey one in your pics. I have been saving it for a 1965 MOD I plan to restore when I finish the Etype and the healey - wishful thinking ??? Over the years I have also been able to acquire a set of recliners and a wind up aerial which are reasonably hard to find items.
Regards,
Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply. If you wouldn’t mind digging it out and then posting the measurements (and a few photos) that would be great.

Cheers,
Tim

I have some pictures of the one I made , I made it so it was a snug fit in-between the seats , plus I made it to fit the slant of the seats and longer at the back to fit in-between,

In the photo of the red one, you can see that he bottom edges of the stand are wider, so they go under the seat and prevent it moving without removing seats. Some other models may not have those wider edges, but the with the snug fit, friction of leather keeps it in place (unless you store bricks in it and brake hard).
Köpi

Ours is a Henly’s car with original central cubby - it is as per the images at top of this thread and secured only by being a snug fit between the seats and snails foot ‘toes’ under seat pads.

Are you able to post a photo of the, “snails foot ‘toes’ under seat pads”, please?

Would you also mind posting the dimensions for me please?

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

I hope images are legible - standard 30cms / 12" rule used.

Thank you so much for the measurements I really appreciate it. I now understand how it all fits and functions.
Cheers,
Tim

The 420G also could be obtained with a Henlys…somewhere I have photos sent to me by a owner, but I cant find them.

it is on my long-term plans to custom build one

Hello Ian,

300GBP and I’d have to fly from Australia to Cranbrook in the UK to collect it in person, then restore it!!:confounded:
I’ve just discovered that it’s near Hastings. Perhaps I could have DCI Foyle and his driver Sam collect it?:thinking:
Cheers,
Tim

At the price it should be free post world wide !
Cranbrook is about 10 miles up the road from me .

Hello Ian,

I would like an excuse to come to the UK for a visit but that’s out of the question at present, sadly.

If the box was 100GBP I’d consider buying it and offering you a collection fee for the journey.:wink:

My car was a Henly car before it was shipped to Australia, so a Henly’s Cubby Box would be fun to have. Lets’ see what happens with the eBay auction I guess?

Cheers,
Tim

Tim
Since you say your car was a Henly’s car, I wonder if it has a Henly’s sticker on the back window that says something like:-
“Another Jaguar from Henlys”
If I could find a picture of a sticker I could get a copy made which would be neat to put on my car.

Off subject a bit , sorry , but talking about stickers , when I removed my rear seat I found one , like new it was , so stuck it back on :thinking:

Hello Ian and “BESM”,

There is a wonderful UK company, which you may know, named I Say Ding Dong ! Quirky name but nevertheless they make and reproduce huge numbers of stickers and transfers mostly for classic cars. They recently manufactured the transfer for the Smiths fan motor for my MK2.

/Users/timothyfox/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/proxies/derivatives/55/00/5519/u4yKZgQlQaSqjFJvx9Jyow_thumb_5519.jpg
Here is there Website https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk
I don’t have an original rear window Henly’s sticker so I bought a Coombs of Guildford sticker from the company and fitted that.
Cheers,
Tim

1 Like

Tim

I too bought a Coombs sticker from this company and they told me if I had a good quality image they could reproduce a sticker.
The trail has gone cold
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Don’t give up. I have always found that things turn up in the end. I guess that should come as no surprise to anyone looking for obscure parts for Jaguars?:thinking::wink: I will start a new topic and ask, as there must be a car somewhere that has an original still fitted?

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Ian,

I have just found a restored (Might be a reproduction - how would you know?) Henly’s Cubby Box for sale in the USA on ePay.:wink: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-Mk2-Henlys-box-/283355028175
Only a mere $700.00 US!!! :hot_face:

Cheers,
Tim