Henly's Arm Rest Box

Hi Bruce,

I’ve just found these sales brochures from Henlys dating from the 1950’s. Perhaps I Say Ding Dong could lift the Henly’s name and the slogan from the add and craft a sticker? What coloured writing do you remember and what might have been the background colour?

This is what they have from the 1970’s.
500x375

Cheers,
Tim

Just came across this advert

Hi Bruce,

That’s fantastic! If only they were still 9GBP I’d buy two!!:grin:

On the subject of the rear window Henly’s sticker, I Say Ding Dong are going to look through their archives and see what they can come up with. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any recollection as to what the font looked like? The colour of the front and the background colour?

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim

I really have no good recollection other than the general wording which said
“Another Jaguar from Henlys”
Some months ago, I even tried to see if employee memories would help by posting a question here

If you scan down do the end you will see my question to which I received no reply

I think the best hope would be to find a picture of a rear window in an old publication. I have tried all my reference works and old Autocars without success.

Bruce

I have had similar thoughts.

Hello Bruce,

I Say Ding Dong will have a few samples for me next week. I’ll post them to see what you and others think. No doubt there will be some who will have thoughts, perhaps someone might come forward with and original?:wink:

Cheers,
Tim

Hello again Bruce,

After spending quite a few hours trolling the WWW I think that the Henlys sticker will probably look something like this
ebay147035604191967
DJcxzh1XkAEJ0XU
What do you think?
Tim

Hi Tim
It looks to me like a late Henlys sticker with the British Leyland logos cut off either side so I don’t think it is period correct and was not at all what I remember.
Sorry
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

You are no doubt correct except that it might precede the Leyland era but not be from the 1960’s. I have found this advertisement from Henly’s which is period correct, not to mention being about the MK2! Would this possibly be the slogan you remember, aside from the “See Henlys” of course?:wink:

The quest goes on and I will find something eventually.:grin:
Cheers,
Tim

I was looking for caliper information yesterday and come across Mike Roddy Motors in Victoria , they do Arm rest box , just like Henlys !

Hello Bruce,

I found this advertisement from Henlys for the 240 which is from the late 1960’s. Looking at the logo in the add it is very similar, if not identical, to the rear window sticker on the Mini. That’s not to say that there wasn’t a different version in the early 60’s but it might mean that for those who have cars from the later 60’s it would be appropriate to use that version.

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the suggestion but I wouldn’t spend any money with that motor trader as he was very rude to me once, sorry.

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Bruce,

Here is the first offering from I Say Ding Dong.

Would it have been blue with white lettering or black with gold lettering which seemed quite common among distributors of the day?
Cheers,
Tim

1 Like

Hi Tim
I really cannot remember anymore.
I think you should go with what you like and have them made. It seems pretty clear to me that nobody out there can recall what they were like, so until somebody turns up with photographic evidence to the contrary, your design would do very well.
For myself I have a Coombs sticker from I Say Ding Dong - to go with my rear wheel spats :grinning:
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I too have one of the Coombs stickers in rear window of my MK2. I hope that by putting up this image of the Henly’s decal that someone will say, “It wasn’t like that.” Then I can ask the obvious question. :wink:

It seems that Henly’s liked blue with white font. I’ll ask Ding Ding to make one in that colour way as they have the shade of blue.

We will get there!

Cheers,

Tim

I like the idea, and the design you have come up with, tempted…

Gee, if I could get that as a decent print I would get one of those Officeworks “do it yourself” frames and hang it up in the garage

Henly’s font on a car transporter!

Cheers,
Tim

At this link is the history of Henlys, including sales of light aircraft, and the typeface used in ads you will note changed markedly, from an almost ‘comic style, to the formal roman style post war to the modern block style seen on the transporter lorry in the above picture from around 1962.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Henlys

Thank you for the link but I have to say that I have already seen it in my Henly’s search. It was very interesting. There might be a need for someone In the UK to write a book on the history of the firm, seeing as it was, “England’s Leading Motor Agents”.
Cheers,

Tim