Hey, Pekka, and other post-war aficionados!

@Pekka_Telivuo1. check out what’s being loaded onto a Bristol freighter! I know yours is a Mk V, but, still!!!

A Mark V saloon all right, looks like it might be FBD 582. The second car is a Rolls Royce.
Here is a Mark IV going into a similar plane.
Mark%20IV%20into%20Bristol%20freighter
The website where I found this said Silver City Airways used to fly vacationers with their cars from the UK to Holland. The fare was 27 pounds one way for car and 4 passengers.
In some Jaguar books there is a picture of Stirling Moss driving his two-tone 120 FHC out of one of these planes.

1 Like

Hi Paul,

It took me quite a while to find my way back in here, but yes, the first car is a UK reg. MKV Saloon but the second car is a Rolls-Royce Drophead.

Nobody knows where the cars were being flown to, I bet.

We just had first snow yesterday, so although this was taken only two weeks ago at the cottage, I think the season for our old lady (that was sold new in sunny California and later resided for two decades (1976-1996) in Westminster Colorado) is now gone.

I should enjoy at least one exciting drive to winter storage with the narrow Pirelli Cinturatos. :wink:

PS. OK, I did not see that Rob had already found out the planes only went as far as Holland for Continental travellers. So mystery already solved. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Am I wrong?: the car looks to have the big Lucas headlights…doesnt that make it a MkIV?

Hi,

In Rob’s photo there is a MKIV Saloon with the big Lucas P100 headlamps, but in your photo the drophead is not a Jaguar, It’s a RR, just look at the shape of the radiator cowl. Maybe the fact that it is following a MKV Saloon into the plane fools your eye (and mind!) ? :smiley:

Cheers!

I was referencing Rob’s photo.

Hi,

Yes, that’s a MKIV (UK reg. JYW 23) also with ACE wheel discs, just like the RR DHC, they were more fashinable back then than wire wheels. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Disc wheels have a certain… stateliness to them!

And, WAAAY easier to keep clean!

Hi,

Sure, but of course those both cars are still on wire wheels, they just have the ACE wheel discs (aluminum if I am not mistaken) on top of the wire wheels to make them look smoother and probably to protect from crud as well. I think I have seen in Ed’s posts that there was a special extension for the valves on the wheels for those.

Cheers!

Hi,

Had most likely the last drive this year, on Sunday. It was a beautiful day, they say we have not had this little snow in the whole country in late November for as long as there are statistics.

Cheers!

1 Like