Hide aerial in soft-top

Does anyone hide the radio aerial in the soft-top?

Ross, Brisbane

I’d imagine it would get tangled up, and ruined or just be a terrible pain to deal with. Maybe it could be run up the a pillar and across the screen under the trim piece, or threaded around in the bulkhead, assuming it’s the wire kind.

I’ve no idea how well or poorly this item works. Crutchfield generally sells pretty decent stuff though. NAYYY

Looks similar to what I use. It works okay - well, good enough for my limited need for radio.

Recently finished a total restoration of the 69 2+2 I got from my Dad when he passed away. Has a radio but I eliminated the hole on the passenger side of the cowl and the antenna with a spring on the base. Hideous thing! Anyway, now I’m looking for some kind of antenna that doesn’t need to extend outside the car. I found the Crutchfield model shown in this post but before I but I wondered if anyone out there has used it and can provide feedback on whether it works or not. Also, if it did, where did you place it for best reception. Would like to keep it out of view. Thanks for your help.

I’m in the same boat, eliminated the hole.

JCNA rules requires and antenna, Has anyone ever found a fake antenna for the outside, perhaps a magnet mount?

I don’t want to put a blanking plate on the console. I want a retro radio with blue tooth to phone.

I assume that means only if you have a radio.

yes, but as I said, I don’t want a blanking plate which is required if no radio. Not that this will be a 100 pt car by a longshot but, obvious easy things I would like to put right.

Buy a cheap antenna and stick it on the horizontal cowl with 3M emblem tape. I used to stick the side marker lights on my Series II 2+2 with that tape for concours after I had the holes filled in the car repainted. Just remove the antenna before you drive off with your trophy.

I’ve been wanting to eliminate the antenna or move it to the rear because I think it looks better there… that would also free up the space for an unobstructed bullet mirror. Just curious what kind of body work is needed to cover up the hole left behind?

My 1st guy welded a slug up there. My second guy said he didn’t like that way because when he ran a machine over it, it heated up at a different rate and the metal moved. Anyway it’s just like “letting in” a piece of metal any where else. Then it also depends on what kind of paint you have. A clear coat will have to be dissolved and color blended over a larger area, reapply clear.

IOW, it’s major body work, just on a small scale.

1 Like

Bill, if you go with retrosound… they make great head units and are super easy to install… Definitely recommend getting an amp to go with it. Having purchased the retrosound amp think you can do better with other manufacturers for the amp.