High(er) lever brake light

This afternoon’s tinkering; LED stop / tail already fitted some time ago and they are marvellous, but a variation of an idea I found on one of those internets is how to discreetly fit a high(er) lever brake light. Lo and behold and thanks to Duncan Rickards of classiccarleds.co.uk we have laboured to produce this magnificence; behold.

Cost: LED Red multidirectional bulb/lamp to replace existing reversing light/lamp bulb, a double bullet connector, 2.3 feet of wire, a bit of solder and two bullets, a few cable ties and a bit of tape – call it ten quid.

So now do you have no reverse light?

All combined; to be honest, when do I need the reversing light? I could have mucked about and messed with the holder to create a two wire 5/21w type fitting but why? Plus it is auto, so when reversing, brakes on normally, so I now have three red reversing lights! Which is the greater risk? Tapping the bumper against a tree stump invisible to red light, or some boy racer balling in to the rear of the cabin a a junction?

A reverse light warns other drivers that you are backing out of your parking space when they are zooming through the lanes of the parking lot. All modern cars have them so drivers expect to see them and understand what they mean.
Plus in my jurisdiction it is required even on antique cars if so equipped originally.

I fitted one of these LED center high mount stop lamps (CHMSL) which I found at a local hot rod shop.

We live in different worlds; illegal to reverse into traffic here although of course some do. Driving conditions here are such the chances my having an accident whilst reversing the car are possible, but remote; the chances of being rear ended are a near certainty, and it has happened to me and mine a number of times.

I fitted LED strips with dabs of clear glue (inside).

Activated by a mechanical switch on pedal, they light up ~0.5 sec before the hydraulic actuated OEM, (and its a “dual” circuit)

One of the very best things I fit to all my cars if possible is a LED reverse light that simultaneously BEEPS and flashes…(NOT a truck item…they are annoyingly loud)…auto fitting ~$12

They absolutely gain the attention of persons behind you when engaged, a big safety improvement., especially if children or old people are around

(on my 4wd, I have a switchable ancilliary reversing LED as well)

When you own a 420G, people tailgate idiotically, and I assume this is because they have never seen one, and are trying to read the boot script

Speed of brake lights? – I just swapped the stupid standard high pressure switch for a super sensitive type – as fitted to Harleys I believe. Barely a gnats breath of pressure sets off the brake lights and as you say all lamps being LED full brightness is instantaneous.

I meant in parking lots, like at the supermarket; sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Entirely clear - I didn’t read it properly…my apologies.

the addition of a mechanical switch has a few advantages.

it is quicker than any hydraulic, mine activates before hydraulic pressure is actuated

slightly more important, if the hydraulic switch fails, which the newer style are reputed to do. then a secondary system is still in play

the 0.5sec comes from about 0.25sec LED vs Incandescent, and 0.25sec mechanical vs (OEM Jag hydraulic switch)

If you think it is bad with a 420G you should see how bad it is with a 37 BHP Morris Minor which are really
S L O W and pause between shifts from 1st to 2nd.
John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA