High oil pressure in a new XKE engine rebuild

Ive recently completed a complete restoration on my 67 XKE. The engine was totally professionaly rebuild with new pistons, rings, bearing, rebuilt head, worked cams, rebuilt Triple carbs etc etc.

She starts and runs great no smoke, no unusual noises, rattles or leaks.
What I have noticed that when first started on full choke the oil pressure is over 60psi on the electric dash gauge and about 60psi on the mechanical Smiths gauge that I fitted to the fire wall

Once the engine warms up and I take the choke off she drops down to 45psi at idle on boat gauges.
My concerns are is this too high? could I be having a Relief valve issue?
I switch out the electronic sending unit to a new one and it appears to be the same

I have about 250 miles on the engine with no issues leaks etc but Im just checking if Im missing something, when running on the freeway at normal running temps Im seeing 50-55 psi on the dash gauge.
Is tis just from being a new tight engine or is something needs to be checked

Thank you
Alan
Santa Cruz CA

I have the same readings with NOS oil filter housing and new sender. Previously had 45 psi cold and 38 hot running at 3000 rpm, 0-10 psi hot idle with original housing and relief valve and old sender. Wait until summer and see readings really hot. I think the seat for oil pressure relief valve was continuously leaking pressure, always had oil drip from the hose, despite putting new valve and spring several times

Tight engine, but not terribly concerning. What weight oil are you using?

PennGrade
SAE 30 brake-in oil

Changed the filter at 200 miles kept the oil

I have two recent rebuilds with similar numbers. They both have Series 3 XJ6 oil pumps, filter heads and spin on filters (run 15W50). Perhaps your builder replaced some original kit with later series also? Recheck when you change to multigrade oil? Paul

My S11 with ‘I don’t know how many’ miles on is giving me about the same figures, I’m quite happy at that :slight_smile:

Those pressures are about what I’m seeing with an original gauge I validated, all on a recently professionally rebuilt engine. I’m using Mobil 1 15W-50 and a Wix element in the original filter setup.

Sounds about right to me. Wouldn’t worry about those figures at all