Hillsborough Concours

Sorry, no pictures, but had fun today at the Hillsborough Concours with Jaguar as the feature marque. Jerry and MIK were there proudly representing, as was Les with his V12 convertible. Some really nice jags there, with Dick DeLuna’s C-type and race prepped XK120. (you can see them here in his garage at his property.

There were an OBL coupe and convertible, loads of XKs, a d-type, an XK-SS, an SS-100, and I think a Mark V and Mark X. A wide variety of other cars were presented, but to my (biased) eye, the Jags ruled the field (although the sheer presence of the pre-war Rolls Phantom was impressive).

Great to see you, Bill. Andy Preston was there with his S2 FHC, too. Later on it got up to 103F in Palo Alto, a little cooler in Burlingame, but still hot! Here are a few photos of the day:

I thought I had a better shot of the XK120 lightweight, the C-Type, D-Type, and XK-SS, but that last shot shows them, as little blots at the end of the opposite row. The white and blue coupes at the end of this row are 885010 and 885009 respectively, number 10 and 9 FHCs built.

Jerry

1 Like

I took a few but some were a bit dark with my cell phone camera so here are a few of the better ones. Even managed to get Jerry’s in the background.

Wow 2 Mark X’s!
I was the concours chairman for the club for 7 years and only got one to show up for a show.
Not that the owner didn’t try to get there the car never quite cooperated.

Looks like a great group of cars were there.

Woof !! Looks like it was a good day. Only car prettier than a C-type is an E.

I like the C-type description given in my C-type registry book by a race team mechanic in 1952 when he first got a look …we came up over top of the ramp and right directly in front of us , lit up by our headlights, were two low, sleek, liquid-smooth puddles of aluminium alloy with short , graceful racing windscreens and knock off wire wheels. You could tell right off they were Jaguars…

David
68 E-type FHC

Hi Jerry,
Were either of the early FHC’s owned by Mike Mueller?
Bob
Plymouth, Mi.

^ no. he was there with his xk140.

Bob, One or both of them used to be owned by Mueller. He was there with the 140, really nice guy! Mark Miller was also there with his racing 120.

Jerry

Mike has/had a number of the OSL FHC’s + one of the first of the OTS’s, one of the group that the factory released to “famous” drivers to race in the UK. We, myself, Darlene and my S1 guy from the JAGM judging team, had the pleasure of meeting Mike and judging one of his cars at the Franklin Tn. national meet in 2001.
Bob
Plymouth, Mi.

One of the goodies we got as entrants was the latest Sports Car Market magazine, with their thorough analysis of various auctions. I checked the E-Type prices against Hagerty’s May estimates and got

Silverstone auction, UK; May 2017:

'64 3.8 FHC, condition 3. Sold at $76,664; Hagerty $66K
'64 3.8 FHC condition 3+ Sold at $95,469; Hagerty Cond 2: $113K, Cond 3 $66K
'65 4.2 FHC condition 2. Sold at $144,648; Hagerty $178K
'67 S1.5 OTS, condition 2- Sold at $90,406; Hagerty Cond 2: $134K, Cond 3: $76K

Bonhams, Francorchamps BEL May 2017

'70 S2 2+2 condition 4. Sold at $35,996; Hagerty $18K
'72 S3 OTS condition 3- Sold at $71,993; Hagerty Cond 4: $42K; Cond 3: $59.4K
'73 S3 OTS condition 2- Sold at $92,592; Hagerty Cond 3: $59.3K; Cond 2: $99.8K

Seems like the Hagerty estimates are pretty well held up by these auctions.

Jerry

Dunno,
Hagerty says value of my car in #4 condition is 80K. Seems optimistic and the higher they rate them the more money customers pay if they insure to that amount.

Bill,

Well, one like yours sold for $450K not that long ago. Maybe $80K is optimistic, maybe not.

And I don’t guess you have seen the recent trash cars that sold for about $80K?

Jerry

guess if I ever get it together I will have to sell it in Hillsboro