Holes in chassis rails

My XK150 (1960) has a number of large holes on the inside of the chassis rails and on the cross member adjacent the gearbox. It seems that this would invite water and dirt into the hollow sections of the chassis with resulting rust. None of the books show bungs for these holes. How have other members delt with this issue? I have used Eastwoods chassis sealer inside the rails but it does seem that some blanking is reqired even if some small drain holes are desired.
PS. Nice films in Utube of XK150 FHC in the snow during the, just finished, Monte Carlo Classic rally. He came in 4th overall, very impressive.

You will never keep water and condensation out of body cavities in a car, be it unitary or chassis-based. I always ensure there are sufficient drain holes were they are needed, and keep the internal cavities injected with Dinitrol every now and then.

1 Like

Roger, sound advice. My question is about the 1.5 inch holes in the side of the chassis rails that look like water scoops and are not much use as drain holes.
Mike

Some of those are used for brake or fuel lines passing through from inside to outside of the side rails.
Others are legacy holes used in the stamping process for forming the two halves of the side rail.
I suppose most of us don’t drive a lot in mud, snow and rain, trying not to let too much dirt and water get in there.
Looking at pictures I took of my Mark V chassis upside down, I see some drain holes maybe 3/8" or 1/2" diameter, so I imagine we all have them in our XKs.
Maybe we should make it a yearly maintenance practice to flush the side rails out with soapy water.
Though of course you don’t want to wash out the Dinitrol or Waxoyl or used motor oil :grin: or whatever other rust preventative of your preference you have put in there.
You could find some plastic plugs if it really bothers you.

Thanks Rob. Perhaps the holes are a part of the patented British car anti-rust oil distribution system.

Flushing is better than plugging!

Tweety’s rusted-out sill was caused by the drain holes being pounded shut (on a 4WD road in the Rockies). The side that could be drained and flushed… no rust.