Hood blows shut

Ok so I have to ask, I am a diy guy and have done some tinkering on my 1997 XK8. One main problem I’ve had is that even though my hood (bonnet) opens and draws itself up after a certain point, when there is wind blowing decently off the fields my hood slams shut! It really doesn’t feel like the struts are going, has anyone done anything to theirs to make it stay open? I know my XJS has locking struts, but I’d hate to put them in and have something break if the wind blows lol :grin:

Hey Jason,

In my opinion, the problem is both struts are too weak to do the job. They do tend to have a use life.

At least you do the replacement yourself. Check any parts house or British parts house.

Sorry,

Bob

Bob Allen
kabob@wavecable.com

I concur, Your gas struts are dying.

1 Like

I understand there is a way to really secure the hood in the open position regardless of wind.
It’s on youtube by some guy named John under “Secrets of the XK8.”
Basically you disconnect the hood (bonnet!) struts and insert bolts to secure the hood in the service position which is far more vertical.

1 Like

Yes that is correct. I have seen that. It is an option

my fix to the slamming shut hood ( sometimes when I had my head under it ) was pretty simple and inexpensive…a 2x4 about 3ft or so long, with old mouse pad pieces glued on for padding on each end. Works perfectly, easy, and doesn’t scratch or mar anything, doesn’t slide around because the mouse pad pieces cause too much friction…and most importantly, keeps the hood up SECURELY. I simply adjusted the length so the hood is in as full open position as I could get it when I slid it in place.
Its almost always windy out here in the desert, so something like this is very much needed. Hasn’t failed me yet, and my head is under that hook quite often!

I thought about painting it Pacific Blue to match my XK8, and maybe some curly walnut inlays in keeping with the Jag motif…maybe replace the mouse pad ends with full grain cream leather.
Maybe someday.

1 Like

You might want something smaller like a Universal Lift Support Clamp.

Universal%20Lift%20Support%20Clamp

1 Like

Hey I like that! Never knew such a thing existed…thanks for sharing that motorcarman! Might have to pick some up.

I have one from about 20 years ago but it was from a MAC TOOL truck and the threaded clamp end is ROUND!!! (SMOOTH)

It will not damage the shaft of the lift support!!

The pic of that one shows a normal threaded end that might damage the shaft and tear any seals it encounters.

You might want to grind the end into a BALL shaped end to minimize damage.

Just a suggestion.

bob

1 Like

Excellent suggestion, thank you Bob!