Hood tack strip question

I have made new hood (convertible top) tack strips out of laminated wood. My question is how are these upholstered? The crumbling bits of the old one appear to have had vinyl wrapped around it and the vinyl was contact cemented on the inside of the car. There was also evidence of black piping attached to the strip. Should I be using thin foam under the vinyl? Can anyone explain the piping? Thanks

Bill, Here is how I believe it goes based on evidence on a very original 67 I had.
The vinyl, which matches the interior, is glued directly to the vertical sheet metal and wrapped over the top and glued down to the tack strip. I assume thatā€™s to show a finished edge on the inside of the car. Next is a welting made from the convertible top material, which is attached to the tack strip so the bulb edge is facing down on the body. The back edge of the convertible top sits on top of that, ending just above the welt bulb and the chrome strip sits on top of that. The welt bulb shows a finished edge between the chrome trim and the body.

All convertible tops I have gotten have not contained the material for the welt which is frustrating. Some of them came with Hydem for the edge but I donā€™t believe that is correct.

The guy from Plainfield Motor cars was telling me at the MA Jag show that vinyl matching the interior is wrapped and glued to the tack strip but a flap continues over the edge of the cowl and extends a little bit into the passenger compartment and is glued to the sheet metal. The interior trim covers it up.

I am lead to believe this welt was made from a plastic, not the convertible top material. Although I believe many have used convertible top material for the welting.
Tom

ā€œhow I did itā€ ( not OJā€™s book ) right or wrong it works for me. seemed to read someplace that the idea is to completely wrap the wood. The piping I used is a vinyl piece from one of the usuals

IMG_4230

IMG_4234

IMG_4244

IMG_4246

IMG_4414

The notch in the tack strip for the hood cover is a nice idea. Is anyone able to provide a dimension so I can cut mine? Thanks

Sorry, I covered them about 3 years ago. and if you notice, I can only use one hook as the pre cut notches werent in the right place. What I would do is lay the cover on and mark the exact locations with tape, then transfer it to the wood. they were only cut an 1/8th of an inch deep or so.

Bob

Since they can vary in placement of the hood hooks, I left the 4 car hooks off until such a day as I might decide to purchase one.

Bob, you did a very nice job. At some point I need to redo mine. Your pics will be inspirational as well as instructive!

Does the piping go directly on the vinyl covered tack strip or does the piping go on top of the hood and is then covered by the chrome strip?

On top of the hood then covered with the chrome strip.

Pretty sure it goes under the chrome strip. I glued it to the chrome strip after punching holes for the screws to pass through because it was quite frustrating making it even. It kept wanting to migrate during install and afterward. It could instead be tacked to the tacking strip but that would require more on/offs with the chrome to get it aligned perfect.

OK on top of the hood and under the chrome strip. How big is the bulb on this piping? I have enough material to make my own but I need to figure out how big to make it. Thanks

What came with my top is about 1/8. Could probably go bigger if needed. You want to close the gap as much as possible between the chrome and the body, otherwise fast water spray will get in.

Has anyone used the rubber strip that XKs sells?

I opted for the fan belt option which worked extremely well.

I have just fitted the BAS composite. Tbh it was a pain. The ā€˜gutter railā€™ was too narrow on the curves and needed quite a bit of chamfering. I ended cutting it into 3 sections. The curved sections needed a heat gun to twist and curve it

At least it will not rotā€¦thatā€™s famous last words isnā€™t it!

Paul

I wish I had known about the fan belt option before I laminated 3 layers of ash. I ended up boiling the short end pieces and clamping them individually in position before they cooled. Then when dry, clamped the 3 layers again with glue.

Havenā€™t heard of that. And canā€™t search the site due to overload. Any particulars on the belt? Thickness, width?

Yes. Please elaborate. What type of fasteners were used also?