Hood tack strip question

Larry,
Are you referring to the bead between the hood and chrome strip?
if so I used the XKs version. its really a PVC material, flexible, but not floppy rubber.
it worked well for me.

Bob F

here are my notes

Bob
No I was asking about the actual tack strip that is rubber instead of wood

Larry

Larry, here are some pics of the installation:
February 2017 (34)
February 2017 (31)
It is screwed from the inside same as for the wood, fitted in one piece and chamfered for the hood cover hooks. And I used a black sealant for highest for full surface contact with the upper lip. Of course black on black blends in nicely.
Then with the vinyl glued on top:

I am digging for the references of the belt used, hope I can get these for you.

Thanks much For the info Ralph. That looks great! It looks like a single belt?

Yes Larry just one belt. I will dig further for the specs but I recall some 14mm width.

It looks like a very sensible alternative for the strip. Did it result in the belt protruding from the channel the same amount as original or did you have to trim some of the tip of the v off?

Good ideal on the caulking between the body and the strip. I didn’t do this. I don’t think most people do it. I don’t think it was originally done. Although mine seals pretty well in normal conditions, when I wash the car, fast flowing water will shoot under. Although it hasn’t entered the car I don’t think, it has soaked the webbing as evidenced by the staining on them a few inches above the bottoms.

Over the past 20 years, the gap between the body and the beading as opened in places. To fill the gap and to prevent the ingress of water, I used a piece of rubber window screen spline which is flexible and “grippy”.

Yes, it is protruding from the channel like the wooden one. No need to trim it.
The sealant is between the belt and the upper lip of the channel, a uniform free space is left between the lower part of the belt and the body to allow easy water flow. Shell I take a closer pic to illustrate?

Here is the ref code for the belt: SBP 1400 LW.
It has 16.3mm width, with 13mm depth, and 1400mm length. Sorry all metric is easier for me on this side of the pond.
Just goxgle this ref and you will find plenty of options. One disadvantage is non originality.
List of advantages: cost effective, ease of mounting, staple and screw receptive, water repellency, weather resistance and durability, black, …
Hope to have been of service :pray:

1 Like

Thanks much Ralph! The measurements will be invaluable!
Edit: the P/N works beautifully!
Edit 2: Just ordered a 1500mm length same cross section measurements, off Ebay for $14 free shipping.

^ link to ebay?
on my 69 ots, we found black dum dum between the wood and body. probably just need it where the screws go thru the body.

Let me find the link

Yes a closeup of the fit would be wonderful if it is not too much trouble. Thanks so much.

Good catch Larry, 17mm wide is perfect width should leave a nice gap underneath for the water to drain.
Hope it is not too rigid to follow the side contours, or else you will need to heat it a bit (in the oven at 50°C for 10 min while wife is out for shopping).
The chamfers for the hooks can me made easily with a Dreel or a Boch multi tool.
I have used stainless steel screws on both sides.
Geoff, here are some close up pics:

2 Likes

Hope it is not too rigid to follow the side contours, or else you will need to heat it a bit (in the oven at 50°C for 10 min while wife is out for shopping).

Should be very close to your belt, so if you had to heat it, then I expect I will as well

1 Like

Your last photo shows the piping bulb on the top of the chrome, Is this correct?
Another poster hers says the bulb goes towards the body. As usual I am confused.
I will hopefully be doing this job in the next week.

piping on body as original

btw. original was a small diameter solid rubber bead.

Bill, sorry had not highlighted this which could mislead you: the piping should be towards the body normally. But I decided to put towards the hood as I had seen a car which was done so and it looked much neater. My car is black, the tacking strip and hood being black too sort of blend-in below the chrome strip. The piping on top makes a uniform lip between the chrome and the hood, personal choice.
Ideally, it should have been a double piping.