Horn Circuit Question continued

After several conversations with Steve@EQUIPRX I find that in fact I am not missing any component. My problem is that my steering shaft is not grounded. If I attach one end of the test lead to a “known ground” and touch the other end to the end of the steering shaft, then the horn blows with I press the horn button. Therefore, I am confident that the problem is lack of ground to the steering shaft. I assume that the grounding of the steering shaft originates where the steering gear attaches to the frame. I have even attached a “jumper wire” from the ground strap at the frame to a bolt on the steering gear to ensure contact. However, I still do not have a grounded steering shaft. Can anyone advise me what I am missing?
RonW

RonW,
One thing you are missing is the model year of your car in the post or in your online profile.

Jaguar made the XJ-S/XJS from 1975 to 1996 and there were different configuartions of the steering wheel, horns, and even air bags in the later cars. You should include your model year in your post to help others determine whether or not they can help you. Without that important information you might get incorrect replies (it happens all the time) or no replies.

Paul

Sorry. In my original post I mentioned the car was a 94 XJS 2+2 conv.

Why don’t you just attach a grounding strap to an easy to reach place on the column? There must be some convenient screw locations you can get at.

kind regards
Marek

The column revolves. You would have to have 2 feet hanging down to compensate. But you are right, that would be an easy fix.

Take a look at how earlier Jags solve this problem. The horn push (via the column) is usually the earth for one side of the horn relay winding.

kind regards
Marek

I don’t know how the 94 steering column is configured, but on earlier models the steering shaft is grounded via a brass tab, riveted to the column case, that slides on the shaft.
If it’s missing it would be hard to imagine it was there… There is a hole on the upper RH side of the column and you can see the shaft rotating.

Hope that helps.

Doesn’t the 94 MY have a steering wheel air bag? The following comments are not Jaguar specific.
If airbag equipped, there is a device under the steering wheel called a clockspring that carries the electrical connections for the air bag, horn, and any steering wheel-mounted switches. It is a Mylar tape that winds/ unwinds as the steering wheel turns and has circuit traces similar to the instrument cluster. Not uncommon for the traces to break if the u- joint at the connection to the steering rack is separated and then column rotated before reassembly.

In desperation, I decided to completely disassemble the upper portion of the steering column. I removed the steering wheel, instrument panel to access the upper and lower covers. Then, upside down, I looked at the underside of the column. I discovered a small wire with a connector not attached to anything. Within a 1/4 inch was a small boss with a hole. For the last 26 years, this wire must have been touching to form the needed ground. With a 6-32x1/4 inch “screw and nut” I attached the wire to the boss. I repositioned the steering wheel and immediately the horn worked.
Thank all of you for all your responses to my dilemma. RonW

So, you just needed to get yourself on your back in the footwell to see it? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s right ! I wish I had done it sober.

Sorry, I meant to type (sooner}.