Horn position and other stuff

Hi all

I am putting my MK4 back together again , having purchased it recently, so don’t know where some of the parts live or where they should be mounted along with some parts missing, so I have a few questions if anybody can help please
all of these are for 1948 MK 4
Engine number P1764
Chassis Number 511593
Hi and low tone horn positions along with any brackets that they need
Throttle linkages, I have the bare throttle lever but nothing else what, other linkages are used
The shadow of a mounting plate ( Pictured) on the near side fire wall /scuttle triangular shape, what goes there?
Battery mounting position , centre/ left / Right ? and the battery tray arrangement
Rear shock absorber transfer arms required not sure who would make these or supply them
The fitting of the chrome strip over the windows inside the car, how does it look with the roof lining fitted
Thanks for any help
Mike

These pictures taken when restoring my 1948 MK IV 1.5 Litre SE might help (which is a right hand drive UK car):

The twin tone horns on my SE are chrome and externally mounted on brass brackets:

The throttle levers are brass with spring, plates, etc:

I am not sure what the triangular shape is on your bulk head (it is not apparent on my 1.5 Litre)

Original Battery mounting position on mine was right of centre (but I have seen them in various positions). I did add missing parts to my battery cradle by making up metalwork, so not all original parts used, along with a standard battery (and don’t forget it is +ve body connection):

Not sure about the rear shock transfer arm, but these are different for the 1.5 to the larger 2.5 and 3.5 MK IV’s. I found spare parts do come up on internet selling sites, and look out also for parts common to Bristish Classic Cars of that era (not just Jaguar) as I found many parts to be shared across manfacturers.

Chrome window strips are shaped and purpose made left and right, and fit to the body window frames by screws upwards between the doors. I found these to be a tight fit to clear the door gap openings, and did go out of shape when I had them re-chromed (these are shown on the picture below with a boot chrome strip on the left):

The roof lining is a tricky job, and my SE has a sun roof (which is also difficult to extract, etc). I started in the centre of the car roof and eased the material evenly left and right, front and back slowly and repeatedly - 2 people working in the car together (with the seats out) makes the job easier!!

1 Like

I can comment on some.

• The shadow is for the headlamp relay.
  • The battery is mounted on the left side in front of voltage regulator. There is no tray but there is a pair of shallow support plinths bolted to the bulkhead to carry the original battery - which is priced like gold - but a sensible alternative will fit.
  • The horns are attached to the front cross tube under the front valance. You will see two holes for the brackets. The horns are attached to the brackets via Lucas flexible horn connectors.
  • There are no chrome trim strips anywhere internally. It is all trimmed with headlining cloth.

Let me know what pictures you would like.

Peter L

I’ve just edited your questions to slot in my replies.
Peter

Thanks for this Dave much appreciated, he’s me thinking the chrome stirp went on the inside !
Thanks for all the pictures
Mike

Pete to the rescue again, thanks a lot for this info

Mike

Hi Pete
If you could help also with pictures of the rear spare wheel lid locking mechanism, it probably is something simple but they are missing on my car, additionally if you have any pictures of the door quarter light window fittings and how it is supported in the door that would be good

Thanks for the help
Mike

Hi Mike,

I’m not sure that I have photos of the quarter light mechanism. There are right angle gearboxes that connect the “hinge pin” shaft at the bottom of the quarter light to a horizontal shaft that you will see protruding from the highest circular hole in the photo above. After the wood cappings are mounted then a small winder handle operates the quarter light.

I don’t think I have photos of the spare wheel compartment locks but operated by the coach key they simply rotate a blade by 90 degrees that slots into a casting at each side of the compartment. I’m certain that when Tim drove your car away the locks were in place retaining the lid from opening in transit.

Peter

Rob’s photo gives you sight of the parts on the lid. I have found a photo that shows the lock keepers. Note the holes that locate the tapered peg shown in the upper view in Rob’s photo. The keepers are castings with slots to receive the movable blade.

Peter

p.s. I also found a not very nice photo of the reserve tap and its operating rod. It shouldn’t have red tape wrapped around the movable part on the tap body.

Some pitcures of the window quarterlight:

…and some of the fuel valve (with temporary white tape over the fuel line connectors):

Here are some pictures of one horn. They are mounted on the front chassis cross bar with the twisted bracket. These are heavy units and need a substantial bracket - made from 2" x 3/16" x 4" - to hold them on against rough road surges. Note the flexible connector. It is made from six leaves of spring steel laminated and riveted together. This one is rusted and would have a risk of breaking, causing the horn to fall off. They have been remanufactured and are available from the UK.

Hullo David,

What is the boot chrome strip in the photo and where does it go?

Peter L

On the late 1948 Special Equipment model (SE) 1.5 litre it has additional extra goodies like a demister fan, fog lights, twin external chrome horns, etc. The SE chrome strip shown on the bench in my previous photos is shaped and sits on the bodywork edge below the rear window to the top end of the boot (trunk) lid. It is fixed to the bodywork (not the boot lid) by small screws.

1 Like