Hose connections on Daimler Sovereign 4.2, series 3, 1981

What is the heater valve or matrix David? Cannot seem to find this anywhere in manuals or on the car?

Thanks!
Best wishes
George

Cannot see that the heater valve or heater matrix (inside the AC assembly) is very relevant, George? The theater valve vacuum is controlled by the AC servo, but the general vacuum to the AC is indeed ‘manifold’ vacuum wherever it is taken from…

As an aside; the vacuum is connected through a non-return valve to the vacuum reservoir - a round tin with one vacuum hose; fixed at the rear side of the engine compartment…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

The heater valve is the can shaped device on the firewall with the vacuum hose on top and a large hose that passes through; and you cannot see the matrix. The matrix is the heater (like the radiator) inside the car and you can see the inlet and the outlet on the left of the firewall. You’re welcome!

David

Hi again David
I have identified the heater valve on the firewall with the vacuum hose on top. However, this already has two large hoses - in and out - so I am still left with the hose from the steel pipe just below the heater valve - hose A in image below. Where does this go, given that the heater valve has no other connections on it?

Hose-from-steel-pipe2

Also, the hose in image below labelled B on the water rail in front of engine - where does this connect - logically it should be to the steel pipe?

Hose-from-water-rail

I am optimistic that with a little perseverance we will crack this! By the way, my car has NO aircon installed.

Thanks again!
George

Oh, I will send you photos. I was in a similar situation like you, wires going nowhere, etc.

Note the little ground strap not going to the valve cover but to the manifold nut. Also see throttle cable. The hoses can hopefully be followed. The small hose crosses over to the expansion tank.
The last one is for Frank and tries to show that the port is in fact ahead of the throttle butterfly. The big protrusion at the bottom houses the shaft. My coil and fuel plumbing are different to yours.

Hose A is the one with the sticker still on. B you have gotten right. Let me know if you need something further.
David

The two hoses, for the coolant is connected, one from the heater core - the other to the water rail…

The valve’s vacuum connection goes through the bulkhead to the AC system, George. The servo controls the vacuum to the valve - the valve is closed with vacuum applied, preventing circulation through the heater core…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Hi David, thanks for pointing out a couple of things that i did not do correctly.

The thing that I am still confused about is HOSE A - you say in your photo that it is the one with the sticker still on it - but where does this actually fit into? This is the hose that is coming out of the steel tube going behind the inlet manifold on my setup.

So, if we can answer where this actually connect to in your photo (see below) then we should be home and dry - nearly!

Thanks!
Best wishes
George

Forgot to mention that HOSE A on my car has an internal diameter of about 3/8 inch as it fits onto the steel pipe.

Thanks!
George

It runs from the steel pipe to the port on the bulkhead (firewall). You can see the port below where the hose from the heater valve is connected on the picture - the upper port should look identical. Sorry it’s not in frame.

David

Here:

If that is not the 3/8ths you need, it is not water but likely fuel… I can’t help you in that case-you have the earlier fuel rail and no air con- think fuel return down the left side of the car. :thinking: