Hose/metal line under subframe ID

Help me out here. With the subframe out of the car I took the opportunity to replace the rubber sections of the fuel lines. Next to the fuel lines on each side are smaller diameter metal lines. I tried to follow them but I’m having a hard time figuring out what they are. Could somebody help me out?

Bob,
What year is your car and what engine does it have in it?

Paul

I think I remember yours is mid 80s XJ-S.

I think the only metal lines going to rear area are fuel (both sides), brakes (left side), and ECU vacuum (right side). There’s also the cable for hand brake (left side) that may look like metal line.

It’s an 1988 XJS v12

Ah. Vacuum line on the right. That makes sense since it runs up the center tunnel.

On the left from outside to inside in the picture I took is brake line (disconnected), handbrake cable, fuel line, and then another metal line. Could it also be a vacuum line?

First cup of coffee here, but how about the purge line for the tank/charcoal canister emission system?

I bet it is an emissions line.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. It then runs along behind fuel tank, and a hose connects it to breather at top/right of tank.

I cannot wait until this car is mechanically sound so I can start “race car deleting” things…

1 Like

The old Top Gear loved the XJS and had a try at getting a £250 example to beat a row of supercars in a drag race. A severe case of “deleting” things helped a fair bit, but it was a bottle of NOS that got them the win, with a 13sec quarter mile. Then they tried racing a Harrier jump jet off a carrier and lost a Stig in the process - didn’t end well.

1 Like

Here’s the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPks09qDXkQ

1 Like