Hot Engine Not Catching - Do I understand correctly?

I always at least crack the bonnet. If it’s in the garage I raise it. For the same reasons you cite. And my electric fans run on for a few minutes after shutdown. On a 105d day I can still see hot soak temps a few minutes after shutdown of 230d on my mechanical gauges. In those rare cases I go back out and idle the car for a few seconds to stir the coolant around. Some have put in an aux electric water pump, which is intriguing, but my car has been dead reliable for 15 years so I am comfortable with my setup.
I don’t drive the car when it’s really hot here, like 110 and up. That’s just asking too much :). It’s more like 130 down on the pavement.
Bob

Thx Bob.

I made some business trips to Mesa to what used to be McDonnell-Douglas Helicopters-- now Boeing. I remember the local guys saying “but it’s a dry heat.”

I said "Yeah. That’s what they tell a turkey as it’s going into the oven to roast "

1 Like

Yes! Very familiar, I had an internship at MD when I was in college. It’s all relative. When I go to Chicago in February my reaction is “this is ridiculous! Humans should not live here!” :grimacing:

I also spent a few weeks over a couple of summers at Fort Jackson and Fort Bragg in the Carolinas. To me it felt like it was 150°, even though it was only about 100.

I did ROTC summer camp at Ft Bragg in summer of 1970. Terrible humidity and heat index.
Army had jungle fatigues. But since we weren’t in jungle, we had regular old fatigues. Hot!!!

I liked the low humidity of Arizona and mid-east desert much better. But you had to stay hydrated in all of the above

1 Like