How Chevy LS3 fits into XJ6

This post has been deleted.

Cool.

I’m reminded of the time a co-worker, a car guy if there ever was one, took a peek at my V12 engine bay.

After a long pause he simply said “Lots goin’ in there”

:slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Damn! I was feeling good about my LT1 until this. Now what?
Phillip

True dat: compared to the Wee-12, that Chevy install looks positively spartan!

Bet your 12 doesnt have a “Radium surge tank.”

:wink:

Oh, so that’s why people convert V12s to V8s, so there would be room for the horn. :wink:
BTW my ignition key has a dimple in the rubber from the screw and washer when it was screwed to the inner fender like that one.
My cousin bought a brand new MGB and it was stolen 2 months later when the thief found that spare key still screwed on.

You know the old adage about the V12s…

Q-How can you tell if you’ve forgotten to reinstall something after V12 repairs?

A- Toss a BB into the engine bay. If it hits the ground, you’ve left something out

In actuality it all becomes quite normal and ordinary after you’ve been elbows-deep a couple times. Much less intimidating than a first look suggests

Cheers
DD

1 Like

V12 guys typically don’t let their radium surge. Fear of dropping valve seats and all that.

Tricky stuff, radium.

Cheers
DD

2 Likes

Impressive, but I feel this post belongs in the Lumps category. Anyone opposed to me moving it?

Gunnar

3 Likes

I have been elbow deep, and then some, with the V12 in my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible and the V12 in my 1990 V12 Vanden Plas. Attached are pictures of both after I recently tidied up their engine bays.
I can certainly appreciate the effort required to LUMP a Jaguar with a modern engine, but this is the look that I much prefer and so far I have been able to keep them running and looking good for years (14 years for the XJ-S and 7 years for the V12 VdP) by myself with the help of Jag-Lovers. I wouldn’t have a clue how to service or repair a more modern power plant.

Paul

3 Likes

Ha, ha. I don’t think we care much about lumps here, its more like we’re celebrating the fact that we haven’t done it to our 12s.

2 Likes

church%20lady

1 Like

Throw the LT1 my way, the one in the Buick just croaked. If I had ten years fewer on my ‘oldometer’ I’d stuff a V12 under the hood. I could probably walk around a V12 if it was under the hood of a Roadmaster.

I already modified the three flags mascot to a Buiguar / Jaguick version:

KrissMotors,

I have read and believe that LUMP is an acronym that stands for Less Upkeep More Power. At least that is how I understand it and use it. In that context in some ways it might be considered an insult of sorts that the Jaguar engines developed less power and were more difficult to maintain hence the need by some for a LUMP.

A LUMP is not my cup of tea, but I certainly appreciate the complexity of the work needed.

Paul

I lumped my Series III. I turned an XJ6 into an XJ12. Couldn’t be happier :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Fun fact. The radium in your old glow-in-the-dark watch or clock face is good as new. It’s the phosphorescent coating surrounding the radium that wears out after a decade or two.

2 Likes

Doug,
Are you sure that what you did was technically a LUMP?
You did change out the original Jaguar engine with another Jaguar engine appropriate for the Series III saloons. That was quite a commendable project. But I wouldn’t refer to it as a LUMP.

Paul

1 Like

It might be a MUMP - More Upkeep More Power. Paul

2 Likes

No, it isn’t a lump. I was just being a little silly. :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

1 Like