How did the factory cover these hole on the inner fenders?

On my 1989 Coupe there are openings on the inner fenders near the headlights. I was wondering how the factory covered them as I would like to duplicate that on my restoration. I looked at my 1992 which has the oval headlight units used on the facelift cars and the holes appear to be there for the headlight adjusting mechanism.
I would appreciate it if someone could take a picture of the area as the factory had done it.
Thank you in advance.
Jeff

I went out intending to get a pic for you on my 89 coupe, but darned if I can figure out just where that area “near the headlights” actually is, I couldn’t find it… your pic is too close to the car.
Is your pic of the inner fender or the radiator support, or what?
What is the bulging panel on the left of your shot?

Is your car together or is there stuff missing that might get in the way of a photo taken of my running car?

Which side of the car?
On the engine side of the radiator support or the grille side? How far from the radiator support?
High or low on the fender?
Is the panel shown vertical or horizontal?
Is your picture in the correct vertical orientation?

Wayne, the bulge in the picture is the headlight surround. The car is completely disassembled so it may be misleading.
I took a couple pictures of the same area on my '92. There is a rectangular yellow part in that opening for the headlight adjustment that is right near the end of the air cleaner inlet tube on both sides of the car. It is much harder to see with all of the stuff in the way. Thanks for taking the time to help me on this.
Jeff

Addendum…
I took another look and was investigating the differences between my car and yours when your reply posted. Interestingly, my '89 looks different than either of your cars. I don’t have that hole. I’m suspecting maybe the fender for your 89 is actually a later model year fender, or possibly the hole has something to do with Marelli ignition or some option I don’t have.

Sorry, there is so much crammed into that corner that it was very difficult to photograph…

Mine…

Yours…

I did a little more checking and it appears that the inner fenders with the holes are for European headlights and is where the adjuster block mounts. If you look at the opening in the picture you can see an outline slightly larger than the opening that appears to be the outline of a tape possibly being used to cover the opening. I suspect that the factory under Ford ownership decided to cut costs by eliminating the other part without the hole and simply taped over the opening and as it was not very visible it would not matter. I may not have noticed if I hadn’t disassembled everything.

To me, that hole looks crude. Not like a factory opening.

Jaguarrr,
It is clearly a punched opening that is used for the non USA headlight adjuster block. Here is a closer look.

I put on a piece of black gorilla brand duct tape. It won’t be noticeable after painting and final assembly.

Now 3 years later I learn the correct answer to this dilemma. There are in fact molded rubber plugs that are supposed to be in the holes.

1 Like