How did you get hooked on E-Types?

Since we all seem to be afflicted from many moons ago, some of us have demonstrated more insight by buying when prices were much lower.

I bought my first E-type around 1979 - a '63 Roadster that was in need of total restoration for the princely sum of $1500. After deciding I would have at least $10 K in it before it was done, I bailed and started restoring Big Healeys. Sold my personal Healey in mid-80’s for about 15-20% of what that car would be worth today.

Acquired my S1 Coupe in 2009 for many times what I sold the '63 roadster for. So the days of buying a PROJECT E-type on the cheap are long gone.

Point is: if you got hooked and ACTED on your impulse early on - Good on you!

1 Like

In about 1966 when I was 18, my father said I could get a car, so I took him down to the Jaguar dealership. While I was debating between an OTS and a 2+2, he was talking to the salesman. The “salesman” told him that he won’t buy a car for his son that went 150 mph. I sought that he had killed the deal for me. I had no idea that an xke was about 1/2 the annual salary of an engineer.

In 1975, I bought my current 1967 OTS for $1800. I still have the same car after 3 partial and this last full restoration. I kind of look at market values just for fun, since my kids will have to fight over it when I’m gone.

On my 5th birthday they got me a battery powered Motorific E-type model. From then on I knew what a XKE was and that I would have one some day.

Almost bought a pretty nice '69 2+2 when I was 25 but could not really afford it and knew it would put me in a bind so reluctantly passed. At 32 I panicked and bought a basket case '66 FHC to restore since prices were soaring and thought it was the only way I would ever get one. Luckily prices tanked a few years later since I was in way over my head on that 66 and I found a completely rust free '68 that was very affordable. Turns out I was right at age 5 and it is the coolest car ever.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

Come on guys am I the only one!
The speed racer cartoon!!!
The ending with the red etype then a spaceship for the future!
Go speed racer go!!!
Gtjoey1314

The Dream

There are certain events in one’s life, unique experiences that mark and define a moment after which nothing is ever the same. For some it may be a religious awakening, for others witnessing a dramatic, tragic or historic event. It is said those of us who are old enough can remember where we were when Kennedy or Elvis or Lennon died. Those of us who remember all three probably recall the stunning arrival in March 1961 of the E-Type. I cannot think of another car launch before or since that has ever had such an impact, certainly not to a five year old boy as I was at the time.

I recall the launch being announced on the television. In 1961 our TV was mounted in a small wooden box in the corner of the sitting room. Its aerial was a long thin metal pole, about the width of a knitting needle and around three feet long that had to be moved around the room to find the best signal. The screen, about nine inches across, took ages to come into life, and when it did the picture was grainy and the sound crackling with static and interference. But, despite this, the news report of the launch is as crystal clear in my memory as is the clipped accent of the announcer telling us it would help British exports to the United States.

After seeing these TV clips of the launch and reading articles in newspapers and magazines it was clear that no car was as fast, as sleek, as good looking as the E-Type. As young boys we would play outside at the side of the road in the village where we lived (remember when that was not only allowed but positively encouraged?). Along with the other subjects of the day, best pop artists (Cliff and the Shadows), best football team (Spurs), we imagined what was the best car to own. There was only one car, the new 150mph E-Type. We would imagine just how fast 150 miles per hour would be.

“Neeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrm!” we screeched pointing at the imaginary E-Type, as it sped past us.

Driven, of course, by Stirling Moss!

On a 100 yard long no through road!

A rutted and potholed un-metalled road of loose stones!

At the age of five, these things could be imagined as if they were real. We all vowed that when we grew up and could afford any car we liked we would buy an E-Type.

The problem with growing up is that childhood dreams often fail to become grown-up realities. Any car we like becomes any car we can afford. A car that will take a wife and 2.4 children. A car for the school run and for shopping, or visiting relatives in Kent. A car to leave at the railway station while commuting to work in the city, or going on holiday to the Lake District. As I grew up none of these cars was ever going to be an E-Type. By the time I could drive E-Types were not the cars they used to be. They had ceased to be the 1960s missile and had become a rusty and unreliable 1970s grand tourer.

By the time I could afford to buy an E-type the image had faded. No longer in production, as second hand cars they had gained a fearsomely bad reputation. Cars that could be found were often horrible poorly maintained rust buckets, spares were hard to get, and in an age of oil crises they were hideously expensive to run.

​However, at an early age I determined that although I could not prevent the efflux of time I could refuse to grow up. Be a little irresponsible. Live the dream whenever I could. If I was to own an E-Type I would have to bide my time and save up for a good one. An E-Type isn’t the kind of car one buys just to get to work or to take the children to school or to collect the weekly groceries. Buying an E-Type Jaguar is a statement, owning one is a purpose in itself. Being able to drive it is a huge bonus. Owning an E-Type is both the acquisition of a work of art, and buying into a solid piece of British manufacturing heritage. It is also an investment in the enjoyment of a true icon of the 1960s, for enjoyment today and tomorrow and for as long as there are the means and the will to keep the dream alive.

8 Likes

My first matchbox was also the maroon E-Type which I cherished above all others. And like GTJoey I would always watch the ending credits of Speed Racer to catch Trixie drive by in the red OTS. What really drew me to the E-Type was seeing The Love Bug in 1969 with the large number of them in the field in the racing scenes. I recall feeling a little distraught when Herbie destroys Dean Jones’ GT350 which is replaced by a stand-in E-Type.

1 Like

My Grandmother took me to the movie theater in the BRONX to see Herbie.
I still love herbie too…boy when he got mad…
GTJOEY1314

On Christmas Day 1964 Valley Stream Long Island I turned 7 yrs, and found under the tree a 4’X8’ plywood rolling frame-mounted, green painted four-lane figure eight Aurora HO slot car set. There were bleachers, a bridge, and a finish line line tower, trees, and many HO-size people. My Dad, 6’2" and 220 Lbs, built and painted it, and all the models, secretly in the basement. He was a metallurgist, and his hobby was restoring antique clocks and watches.

The set came with a plastic carry pit box, with maybe six cars, spare tires, pick up brushes, an oiler and a small orange screwdriver. At some point we talked about the cars, and he asked me what car I was holding. I said “that’s a Corvette I think”. He said “No - that’s a Jaguar XKE”.

There was awe and respect in his pronunciation of “Jaguar XKE”, (he was not a guy easily impressed) and I knew that the real car was something special. A dedicated family man, driving a used Oldsmobile, he would never indulge himself - it might as well have been unobtainable. No doubt he saw plenty of them, as he commuted into NYC on the Long Island Railroad.

I don’t recall seeing one close-up until 1977 while at school in Atlanta, I pined for a black S2 or S3 coupe in a used car lot. Probably an S3, I think they wanted $8K, and I was broke, but thinking about it. (I drove motorcycles only, no cars)

It would be fifty years after that Christmas/birthday before I set out seriously looking for the car, and another year to find one. Of course all those fifty I was inundated like everyone else with many unconscious reminders in the media of XKEs (thanks GT Joey for the Speed Racer pic, I had forgotten that…)

Using my Dad’s (and my grandfather’s) tools on the car often brings back pleasant family memories, just one more aspect of this hobby that I enjoy. I even use the little orange screwdriver sometimes.

7 Likes

I got hooked at age ~10 when my Dad took my brother and me to the NY Auto Show, circa 1970. I fell in love with what must have been a Series II FHC (maybe a 2+2, can’t recall). If anyone kept a catalog from one of the show of that era, I’d love to see it.

In 1985, I bought a 1964 FHC, which I still own. Maybe it owns me?

A few years ago I took my boys to the NY Auto Show (they were maybe 13-15-17 years old at the time) and they were all salivating over the McLaren on display. I could only smile…

Bob

1 Like

John, When my new book comes out in about 4 weeks, you will cry when you read the intro.
GTJOEY1314
DONT WANT TO GIVE IT ALL AWAY.

I read an article in the Sept 74 Road and Track; “Fun on a Budget: Buying a used Jaguar E-Type” That’s all I needed to search for and find a 62 flat floor driver for $1,800 Cdn. Too bad it’s long gone.

2 Likes

Too much knowledge might turn you away.

There was the Peter Egan article in which he described the two man support group he and a pal had joined into. When one of them longed for something the other would thy to talk him back to reality, kind of like AA. Peter wrote that when he mentioned he was considering an E-type his friend left an exploded view drawing of an E-type rear suspension on his desk. The complexity drove him back to sanity, albeit only briefly.

1 Like

Peter and I had a private talk about that, on thd ‘17 British Reliability Run (after we stopped jawing about guitars): he wondered why Id sold the Jag, and after I gave him the Cliff’s Notes on it, he said, “I bet ya like driving the Rover better.”

:joy:

I remember a yellow etype ots sitting in a rental lot (on Kalakaua, I think it was) in the Waikiki Beach area in 2000 or 2001 – the only one I ever saw for rent.

Soon after I learned to drive - on a VW bug - I got a ride in a friend’s Volvo sports car - a shape vaguely resembling an XKE - and I was hooked. I found a used E-type in the newspaper. The car was a five-year-old 1964 DHC, primed grey, and upholstered in leopard skin vinyl. Yes, leopard skin. Back in the late 60’s people did not respect the cats like we do now. “The only thing wrong is the starter button,” said the PO, “so you can’t test drive it. But it runs fine.” I wanted the car so badly, I believed him. And it was only $600 - yes, $600 - affordable even on a med student non-income. And it was beautiful despite being ugly.

A drunk tow truck driver showed up and talked me into letting him tow the car backwards. “It’s easier to hook up,” he slurred. I followed in the family car. A couple of miles later sparks flew, and a wheel went flying in one direction, the spinner in another. The man promptly stopped, disconnected the car, and took off into the night. It was not an auspicious beginning.

Just for fun, and out of complete ignorance, I dove into a full engine overhaul. That included replacing the the early 3.8 valve guides with later ones that had a collar that prevented them from falling into the chambers. The task was accomplished by pre-heating the head in a deep lobster pot. By some miracle, the head did not warp.

By the time I got to the clutch, money was running short, so I opted to save $30 and keep the old clutch plate. It looked perfectly fine to me.

I remember the exhilarating moment at 2 am when the engine roared to life. I savored the victory, shut it down and went to bed with a giant grin. The next morning my heart sunk. I could not put the car in gear, because the clutch would not disengage. In the middle of a Boston winter, in an unheated garage, I pulled the engine out a second time, and replaced the warped clutch plate with a new one.

Two years later, a drunk driver run me off a California freeway - right into the cable that back then served as lane divider. The car ground to its last stop, with the bonnet wedged under the cable that was stretched at the windshield, inches from my throat.

It wasn’t till 1989 that I tackled my second E, a 4.2 purchased for about $6900. I did a decent engine overhaul and paint, and sold it to a dealer… for about $7000. About 10 cents/hr in labor income. Recently I checked - the car had been repatriated to England, restored to perfection, and was for sale for around $200k.

I am now finishing a ground-up resto on a 67 DHC. I learned welding, re-learned body work, and graduated to a barbeque and infrared thermometer to heat up the head and replace the valve guides.

I think I’ll keep this one.

8 Likes

Sometime in the late 1960’s, I vaguely remember seeing my first XKE. I believe it was yellow. I do not remember the details, but through the 70’s I always wanted one. By about 1980, the prices were going up and I decided I better get one before they got too expensive. I got this one about 1980-81. Drove it a lot in the beginning, still have it, and still drive it some every year. It has been fun! Photo from when I just got it.

Tom

3 Likes

While I have no specific memories of e-types while growing up in Paris in the 60s and 70s, it wasn’t until I started looking for a second car back in 1999 that something clicked, maybe from old memories, pictures, movies etc. somehow while narrowing my options online I ended up right here on JL… the site was very different and there were no forums back then but email lists… that was almost 20 years ago, around early March.

I quickly decided I wanted a Series 3 2+2 and looked at one here in Miami. That short test drive was my first experience behind the wheel of an E but the car needed to much work…

Then i got this in my inbox on March 23rd, 1999. remember JL was a mailing list back then…

That was on a Tuesday. After a couple of emails with Joel, on Saturday morning I was on flight to Atlanta with a $19k cashiers check in one pocket and a refundable return ticket in the other. Just in case. Giles was as described so I drove him home to Miami that afternoon…

20 years ago next month

6 Likes

I honestly can’t recall when I fell in love with the E-Type. I know my love for Jaguar started when I saw a SIII XJ6 (1982ish). It was black with gold trim and leaper and the prettiest car I’d ever seen.

I think I’ve love all things Jaguar since then.

1 Like

No words. Beautiful.

But. Jeez. The stories that follow …

The moment I saw my first E-Type is permanently burned in my memory. It was in the summer of 1968.

I was a junior in high school. A bunch of us would hang out at an intersection in town, not far from school, after we got out. There was a soda shop there, but no one had extra spending money for much those days. Just hanging out, and being “cool”.

Anyway, one early evening this piece of art automobile (a red S1 roadster) pulled up to the curb right in front of where I was standing. I don’t remember if the driver even got out, but I just could not take my eyes off that car. I had to memorize the letters on the trunk lid “JAGUAR XKE”.

When I got home, I grabbed the phone book and searched the yellow pages for “Jaguar”, and sure enough there was a dealer listed two towns away.

After school ended the next day, I hopped on my bicycle and peddled my way to the dealership in Lyndhurst, NJ. I can remember seeing two E-Types, a roadster and a FHC in the showroom, which was only big enough to display the two cars. The entire front of the small building was glass so you could see the cars from outside. I nervously asked the man (salesman?) inside if I could look at the cars. He told me “look but don’t touch”.
I made many trips to that dealer on my trusty 10 speed. I even got the nerve on one trip to ask if I could take one of the sales fliers. I still have it. That is when my desire to own one of these started.

Back then, while I was still in school, I was working a paper route, and had a part time job at a small drive up, serving ice cream, hamburgers and hot dogs to earn spending money. A couple of friends and I would find “basket case” cars, and fix them up. Since we did not yet have driver licenses we would go drag racing at a track, or on joy rides in the NJ Meadowlands before the NJ Turnpike was there.

One day, a while later, I saw an ad in a local paper for a 1965 Jaguar Convertible (Roadster) in the next town for $750.00. I called the number and asked the fellow if the whole car was there. He told me that he was sick of the car, and that the clutch was blown and Jaguar wanted $350 just to pull the engine.

I wasted no time racing my bike to Harrison, NJ from Kearny where I lived.
The yellow (pale primrose?) S1 roadster was all there! It had body damage everywhere, every side, front and back. Painted more than a few times and loaded with body filler, but I only saw the car of my dreams!

I did not have $750 to my name at that time, but the owner took a $20.00 deposit from me to hold the car. I persuaded my boss at the ice cream place to loan me the rest of the money. I managed to get one of my friends, that had a driver’s license, to help me tow the car to the garage we used. He pulled me, while I was steering the jag using a heavy duty rope!!!

Turned out the clutch was not the problem. It was the slave cylinder. I made many trips to yet another nearby town, by bike, to a Jaguar dealer in Montclair NJ that did service and had parts inventory. I became best friends with the parts guy there.

I finally got my license and got the jag running. 7th heaven!!!
I did get to drive it a while, before I went off to college out of state. It sat in my parent’s garage for a lot of years. After college, I got a real job and never forgot about that car. I’ve been restoring it since the 80’s, (still on a tight budget). I finally got to drive it last summer…lots of flashbacks!!

Anyway, the license plate says it all “FINAL E”
before-after

9 Likes