How do I: Configure and use Mailing list (Digest) mode?

There are two parts to configuring Mailing list, or what we used to call “Digest” mode: First, you populate your “Muted list” to EXCLUDE all the topics which you DO NOT wish to see, once this is complete you can then enable Mailing list mode.

There are a couple of caveats you need to be aware of before we proceed any further.

Caveat 1: Your Mute list.
Your Mute list is a list of categories, topics, and Users which you do NOT wish to see. Whatever you add to this list will not appear in your digest emails, but it will also not appear in your list of topics if you log on to the web site. Don’t worry, you can still see the muted categories if you wish, but they will not appear in the list of “Latest, New, Unread, Top”

Caveat 2: Your mail quota.
The server is currently configured to send a maximum of 100 emails per day to your email address. Depending on how you have your messaging and Mailing list settings configured you can easily reach this limit which would mean that you wouldn’t get all the information which you would if you were logged in on the website.

So, let’s get on with the concrete steps.
Populating your muted list:
Click on either the Hamburger symbol in the to right corner, or the “all categories” selector.
The Hamburger looks like this:

The “all categories” like this:

Both of these will display a list of all categories, which appear much like this:

For each category that you wish to mute, enter it. Here I am in the E-Type Category:

Now select the tool which looks like this:

The following drop down will appear:

Click on the “Muted” selector.
Now move on to the next category which you wish to mute, using the above steps to mute them one after the other.
When you have muted all of the categories, go into your user preferences and scroll down until you can see your Muted list:

Review the list. If you are satisfied, proceed to the next step.

Enabling Mailing list mode:
Still within your preferences, find the following setting:

Now set a check mark on Enable mailing list mode. The following will appear:

Your options here are:
Send daily updates: The system will send you a single email once a day with all unmuted updates.
Send me an email for every new post (about 100 per day): The system will send individual emails as updates appear on the site. See the warning about email counts above. This setting will also send you copies of your own posts if you submit them via email.
Send an email for every new post except my own: Similar to the option above, just without your own posts.

When you have changed these settings scroll up (or down) and save your settings by clicking on the Save Changes button:

Now sit back and wait for your emails.

If you find that your emails contain categories which are of no interest to you, use the procedure above to mute those categories as required.