How do I: Edit a Post?

testing to see if i can delete this posting

Ok so I couldn’t delete this test post, in fact after following Andrew’s guide to Craig on this same subject, it didn’t even show this posting on the list that I could delete/change etc.

So I’ve still no idea on how to delete my posts.

Les,

My question to Andrew was related to messaging, not posting a thread. I’m certain that you can not delete a post on a thread. You might be able to do some “extreme editing”. I don’t know but worth a try maybe?

Because I’m an admin I may see different stuff.

Please click on the … at the bottom of the post. Here is what I see:

Do you see the garbage can?

I can imagine that there is a problem with deleting a post which some other user has since quoted. Although you own the original post, the quoter owns his, which just happens to have stuff in it which you created.

Tell me what you see please, and depending on what is there we can try an experiment.

I don’t get the garbage can or the wrench

ok this is weird, I just clicked on the … at the bottom of my reply to you and got the garbage can but no wrench…if i try that on an earlier post in this string, i don’t get the garbage can.

IIRC you have a grace period after creating a post during which you can delete, or edit the contents.

This makes sense, the platform is called “Discourse” for a reason. Imagine I say something in a post, and we two start a raging argument. If you get me into a corner and point out some fallacy in my original post, then if I could edit it forever, then I could go back and “Correct” my original post to defend against your objection.

Now, If I compose a stroppy response to you, and slip by one single adjacent key and type “wanker”, rather than “stanker”, then it’s only reasonable that I have a grace period to correct having claimed you are a stanker.

Makes sense to me.

I agree, so, you’re saying that the garbage can will only be available to us mortals for a limited period of time? Know what that time limit is?

Not sure about the delete grace period, probably the same as editing_grace_period.

Sorry about the grey text, read the explanation carefully.

EDIT: Need to do something in another window, brb.

So, back now. Where was I?

Ah right.

First: When you do edit a post, it is generally considered good form to provide come indication of what you edited, and better yet why.

One way to to this is to add a note at the bottom of the post:

EDIT: Changed some text, I didn’t intend to call Les a stanker.

Have you sussed the distinction between the “grace period” and the “edit time limit”?

All I know about the distinctions is how I translate the verbiage under the windows.

Example 1, you get 300 secs to EDIT a post without the app creating a new post/version of that post…so you don’t end up with multiples of the same thread

Example 2, you get 86400 minutes to EDIT or DELETE their post after posting…nothing to do with the “timeout” in avoiding multiple posts provided for in example 1.

It’s not clear whether example 2 works for those posts where others have already posted replies to it.

BTW, what does adding a “not” at the bottom of a post mean, or is this just another test of my reading?

The way I read it, you have 300 secs to change a post without it getting an edit history.

Any edit after that will automatically generate a posting history, which users can see.

We’re just talking about editing for the moment, Once we’ve done that we can move on to deleting.

I’m not sure what you mean by

I don’t see a not at the bottom of my posts, but then again I haven’t had a great deal of sleep since I started learning Discourse about two weeks ago.

Would you now please try and edit your first post in this Topic?

Here you go sleepy guy.

Your request to edit my original post in this string is now complete.

What a coincidence, the “not” post which you referred to was in need of an edit!

See the Orange pencil, top right corner of that post? What does it reveal about my message when you click on it?

BTW, just saw this on your last email to me…

“WARNING: you reached the limit of 100 daily emails. Further email notifications will be suppressed.”

No idea if this is targeted at you or me.

One can look into the edit and see the original on the left with the verbiage that has been edited, and on the right, the results of said edit.

Same thing when I look into my editing of my original post.

Exacty, when you edit a post after the grace period has expired, the changes are logged (and stored as a time series if I am not mistaken).

When you edited the post, did you see the small area where you can enter a reason. See my comment about my edit when you look at the edits of my post?

Let’s define “posting history” vs. new post.

No idea what that means.

I looked at my editing of my post but didn’t see any such area, but then I wasn’t in edit mode so probably wouldn’t see it when yes reading after the event.

I’ll try another edit and see.