How do I: Edit a Post?

My bad… The phrase I meant was “edit history”.

Edited my original and saw the reason box, however, not sure what that does because it’s not viewable on the edited post without going inside the thing.

Here is what I see (is a screenshot) when I click on the edit history of my post:

I typed “Corrected a typo…” in the reason for editing box, then I corrected the text of my post.

So, you get to see exactly what I changed, and my (lame) justification or explanation for the changes.

So the edit history can only be seen if one goes into that area of the post, as in clicking on the red number in the RH top corner…results of editing are seen in the revised post, just not what been changed/removed.

300 secs, if that’s the time limit, is seems very short Andrew. Seems like maybe an hour or more would be useful. Sometimes, especially when talking techy stuff, required revisions might not be evident for some time in the overall dialogue time line.

No, the 300 seconds is for the case where you hit enter and immediately realise: “Bugger, I forgot to say to use Loctite!”. As long as you start your editing of that post within 300s then nobody will see that you never proofread your posts before clicking on “Reply”.

If you’re a dolt like me, then the system notices that, and provides incontrovertible proof of that for the enjoyment of the general public.

So 300 secs = 5 mins …but I get notifications of my posts almost immediately, or it seems like that (I’ll time this one)…what you’re suggesting is that no-one sees any posts for at least 5 mins to allow for editing.

Time series: You have now edited your first post 3 times, plus the original, which give us 4. See the forward and reverse, first and last symbols in the top of this edit history?

You can use these to step through the time series of edits, and so can anyone else. And before you ask:,yes, the same rules apply to mods.

Mods…you mean modifications? That’s the same as editing…no?

So this arrived in my mailbox 11 mins after I hit enter…well that takes care of the 300 sec “hold”

My bad, I meant moderators (like me), rather than modifications.

Exactly. So, are you clear on what the grace period means now?

yes, I am clear on what the grace period for editing is

I recently decided to edit a post from a day ago. It bumps the string to the top of the list, which I did not expect or want to do…

It may not be what you wanted, but it makes sense. If someone makes a change to a post, then the change means that something has changed since you read it… if it was of interest to you then, then the updated version probably is too.

I’ve found the edit capability highly useful. I just responded on the distributor thread on the E-Type list and was able to make multiple changes until I got it right.