How do I know if my car has SLS? What fluid?

I bought an '89 XJ40 Sovereign a couple months ago, and it went straight to storage. Upon taking it out, the power steering reservoir is very low, big puddle under the car. What fluid does this use? Will any ATF work? Thank you in advance for any assistance.

If the puddle is red then yes, if its green then no.

Im also new to this. So the powersteering reservoid also feeds the Self leveling suspension system?

If the car hasn’t been converted from SLS then from memory yes, @motorcarman should be able to confirm. Its been a long time since I was involved with owning a ‘40 and never one with SLS.

You will just have to ‘use-your-peepers’ to see if the hydraulic lines are connected.

The 3.6 liter cars use separate PAS and SLS/Power Brake pump systems.

The 4.0 cars used a SHARED PAS and SLS reservoir with HSMO.

If you delete the SLS on the 3.6, you still need the pump on the front of the engine to actuate the Power Assisted Brake assy.

There is a Jaguar Document for the POWER HYDRAULICS. S_73(too large to upload here)

66-22am Ride Leveling Struts Stay at Maximum Height.pdf (44.9 KB)

3-154 Ride Level Conversion.pdf (24.1 KB)
64-14 Delete rear self leveling.pdf (108.8 KB)

John …

'Your 1989 XJ40 power steering is a standard stand alone system. In other words it has nothing to do with the SLS system or anything else. . So you can just use any power steering fluid. As far as ATF there are several different types Dextron 2/3/4 so do your homework on that.

The SLS fluid is shared by both the self leveling system and the hydraulic brake booster. MANY people have converted their XJ40’s to standard rear shock absorbers and the very common vacuum brake booster system. This eliminates a lot of leaks and a big box full of now unnecessary hardware.

An official Jaguar Technical Document written by someone that thinks an XJ-40 has STRUTS? That is just sad. The only Jaguar that used struts was the X-Type. Everything else that had independent suspension had both an upper and lower link in the suspension.
As far as the power steering fluid, 1988-1989 US spec cars had a separate PS system with ATF.

Technically that’s probably correct as the shocks could be called struts as they contain the springs.

I see where this is going! Monroe, the manufacturer of shocks AND struts offers this primer:

1 Like

A strut is one piece with the verticle upright. So a car with struts has no upper A-arms or upper ball joint. Struts will have the spring over the strut as there isn’t anywhere else to conveniently put them.

Precisely the set up with the rear IRS on the XJ40 with the exception the half shaft is effectively the upper control arm as well.

Classic thread hijack !

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 6.31.45 PM

1 Like

Jaguar TSBs and other literature also uses the term VIN number. (redundant and you sound like an IDIOT)

The people writing the documents are stupid people ‘JUST LIKE US’.

Ranks up there with PIN number and hot water heater (remember the George Carlin routine?).

1 Like

DON’T get me started on a rant!!!