How do I: Reduce the number of emails that Jag-lovers sends me

Many users like to use email to keep track of what is going on at Jag-lovers. There are two ways to do this, one is to make the server send you notifications of activity related to your account, the other is to use “Mailing list mode”.

Mailing list mode allows you to select one of three options:

1. Send daily updates.
    This just sends one single mail per day. It may be a bit large, but still only one single mail.
  2. Send me an email for every new post (about 100 per day).
    Unfortunately, the text of this option is wrong, it should read “Up to a maximum of 100” per day.
  3. Send me a new email for every new post except my own.
    This will generate slightly less emails than option 2. above, but still the “Up to a maximum of 100” per day holds.

As much as I like Jags, the idea of 100 new emails every day does not appeal to me. I’ve had a look at the server messages and judging by the number of accounts which are generating a [UserEmail] Exceeded max_emails_per_day_per_user event, I can only say that either the forum has a few users who might be certifiably insane, or that people haven’t adjusted their settings to avoid filling their inbox.

So, how do you reduce the number of emails? Simple: either use option 1. above, or mute the categories which aren’t of interest to you.

As well as the mailing list mode, have a look at the section of your preferences dealing with email notifications, it looks like this.:

I would select “Unless previously sent” and enable:
* Send me an email when someone messages me.
If you HAVEN’T enabled Mailing list mode, then also enable
* Send me an email when someone quotes me, replies to my post, mentions my @username or invites me to a topic.
(otherwise this could double how many mails you get!)

For an explanation of muting, have a look at;