How does the chrome trim come out

I have totally lucked out, my local junk yard has my jag for parts, different year but pretty close, my head lights have chrome trim but I can’t figure out how to remove them! Anyone know the secret ?

That is the chrome trim around the headlights, 1989 xj40.

Do you have the twin round headlights or the rectangular ones?

Twin round.

ok - no idea then sorry

Hi, I’m guessing that seeing as the circular quad light arrangement is directly interchangeable with the rectangular type of headlights, they will be fastened to the car the same way ?
If that is the case you should be able to see four fixing nuts on the rear of each twin light assembly, roughly one at each corner of the unit. The Nut size is 13mm or 14 mm.
When I removed my rectangular type headlamps the problem I had was a couple of those nuts were seized up.
The studs come from the rear of the lamp assembly are bonded into the plastic casing of that assembly, and if you force them the bonding breaks and the studs will turn inside the casing and you can’t get them off.
You need to soak them all in penetrating oil for a couple of days before trying.
I had to resort to using a Dremmel mini cutting disc to split two of the nuts when I was doing this job.
The heat generated while doing this caused the stud to melt the plastic casing and the studs just fell out.
Once I had the lamp unit on a bench I glued the studs back into the original holes using an epoxy resin and they went back on the car with no problems using new nuts.
I hope this helps.

David,

My '91 had ‘styled’ (i.e rectangular) head lights and to remove the chrome surround I had first to remove the chrome radiator grill surround.
Not sure if the ‘quad’ head lights will present a similar problem.

The chrome trim is integral with the head light surrounds if that is what you are asking.

I figured it out, remove the grill and the whole assembly pulls straight out. Easier than I thought.

Good to hear it was an easy fix, i did mine years ago and didn’t want to hazard a guess how I did it :slight_smile: