How much Does an OTS Tub Weigh?

I’m getting ready to build a tip over jig for my 70 OTS … does anyone know BTW… what a stripped tub without the doors, dash, boot lid, gas tank, , bumpers, wind screen and all the hang ons might weigh?

IIRC, in the vicinity of 450 pounds.

1 Like

I’d be very surprised if it weighs over 500 lbs.

1 Like

John,
You may want to consider the flex of the jig in designing it. More often than not ,you will probably end up replacing the outter sills. The sills help with the rigidity of the body shell a great deal. Something to think about.

I once was at a shop where a bare tub was present. I went to lift up a edge just to see how heavy it was. I was surprised at how light it was. Wiggles is saying 450 lbs max. I bet it’s even lighter than that.

1 Like

4 people were able to pick mine up and move it around, carry from garage to trailer

1 Like

Yes maintaining the demential integrity of the shell is a concern . Roll over jigs attach independent wooden fulcrums to the front and rear of the shell and are typically not attached like a rotisserie. I’m looking to add some front to back bracing of some sort in my design to maintain integrity when rolled.

When I did mine I bolted a ton of angle iron into the cockpit to keep it square.

1 Like

What is the difference between a rotisserie and a tip over jig … for the unknowing but inquisitive?

A rotisserie allows you to rotate the monocoque 360 degrees and weld in the floor panels with the body entirely upside down. I did up my E-type on a rotisserie, my 120 on a “tip over”, but the 120 doesn’t have steel floors.

2 Likes

“Tip over” or “tip up”?

I was trying to visualize how you did a “tip over” to get it “downside up” (“upside down” to some) without rotating it on something like a rotisserie.

Now I know … you don’t.

It should be “tip up” not “tip over” … unless I’m still missing something?

When a car “tips over” it “wheels up” (which is completely different that “wheels up” for airplanes).

Here is an example of a tip over or push over jig. They allow you to roll the car onto its side so you don’t have to work underneath it. This one was built for under $100.00

1 Like

Learned something new today
Ty

1 Like

Add another curved rolling over piece to the other side of the front and you could roll it over to either side, making things easier to get to on the other side.

I have seen many of this type but never one that would go all the way but that could be a useful evolution!

BTW I saw a commercial version of a TIP OVER JIG at SEMA one year that was built out of say, double 1 1/2 " curved tubes, that bolted in place of the front and rear wheels on one side of a car. As I recall it was amazing how easy it was to roll a whole car over on it side.

Just start at the center point at the front and measure for the longest radius that clears the roof and widest point along the sides. Then add 6" 'just to make sure.

I’m thinking two 3/4" × 4’ ×8’ plywood panels (making an 8’ × 8’ square) would be large enough for the radius × 2 = Diameter to fit in.

Make two of those.

However a rotisserie is mounted to the body/chassis, mount a similar mounting piece at the center of the circles.

While the center of gravity may not be entered, effecting how easy it rolls over, it will be able to be rolled to any position, like with a rotisserie.

Getting creative and making a large ‘spoke wheel’ in place of the two solid circles would provide access through the ends to the front and rear.

Dang! There goes another retirement fund! (I could easily make those ‘wheels’, and make them in quarter-sections for easy transporting storage, and assembly for use.)

Obviously a wider working space is needed for a tip over bay vs a rotisserie.

After I’d already renewed the sills etc, I made this tip-over jig to finish the tub on my coupe. Made of 3" HSS and fixed to the radius cups and the front frame attach, I was able to manhandle it around by myself and get it on and off the trailer with the help of a chain block.

3 Likes

Nice job Clive!