How much work to put in a XJS HE engine in the S3?

Hi , I have a 74 manual With blown head gaskets and are considering a proper rebuild. In the meanwhile (years?) I am considering to install a HE engine I can get cheap here locally. Is it a massive task or?

Thor

Hi Thor
Check out this link for some info. There is quite a bit of work, but doable, a lot more if you want an injected engine.

regards
Mark

2 Likes

Hi Mark, thank you!

Thor

If the S3 is an E-type, be aware Roger Bywater has an e-Book for sale covering the whole procedure. You’d be brave to try it without the book.

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/

Pete

I have a 6,0 l motor in my E-type S3. It is a lot of work, to make this motor running good with 4 stromberg carbs.
Maybe less work, if you mount 4 SU 2 inch carbs, because you can try to buy 4 needles, which will “fit” and produce the correct mixture. If you are doing with the original Stromberg carbs, you have to “reshape” the needle with sanding paper by hand, measure with a Lambda wide band tester the mixture and sand the needles again. It take a lot of hours, until the needles are formed correct, that the mixture is okay.
Regards Wolfgang Gatza

Thank you all, I decided to keep my original engine and just fix her when something goes really wrong.

Thor